Chapter 3-Echo Lake

I woke up early the next day, so I could get a early morning jog in. I quietly got my jogging clothes on and put my hair in a pony tail. Grabbing my phone and Fitbit, I made my way downstairs, being careful not to make the stairs creak.

I decided I was going to run the path my brother showed me yesterday and hopefully find Echo Lake while I'm at it. I set my Fitbit and started jogging.

The air was crispy and morning dew had set in on the vegetation throughout the woods. The woods weren't quite as bad as I thought they were. I saw a few deer, bunnies and even a groundhog.

As I reached the end of the path, I could hear splashing. I stopped and listened. Echo Lake must be nearby ! So I followed the splashing and soon came into a clearing and there was Echo Lake.

It was beautiful. The dock leading out to the water had a small boat tied to it as I made my way down. A few geese were playing in the water as I checked my phone.

It was almost 10:00 a.m and my parents got up at 11. So I had to make this trip quick, I took a few pictures of the lake and zoomed in on the geese to get a shot of them.

When I'm about to get the shot, a boy jumps into the lake and scares them off. I curse and end up taking a pic of the boy instead. He breaks the surface and starts swimming further out.

Once again, the hairs on my arms start to prickle up. Seriously ? I want to leave and not be a creep but I can't help but watch him as he swims. From what I can tell afar, he has really tan skin and short dark hair.

My phone ends up going off, making me jump at how loud it was. I shut it off and saw the boy had stopped swimming and was looking directly at me. Oh shit, I had been caught.

I'm about to turn around and leave, when I bump into a hard chest and fall flat on my butt. I look up to see a burly man who did not look happy..

"Well what do we have here ?" The man says. "What's a pretty little lady doing out here so early ?"

I tried to say something but no words would come out. This man was giving me bad vibes all around.. He also smells of flesh ?

"What's wrong ? Cat got your tongue ?" He asks, then I see something change in his eyes.

I scramble back up and take a step back, his eyes are dilated and the color part of his eyes were yellow..

"Are you .."I stuttered, my heartbeat was racing so fast I felt like I could pass out.

"Am I a what ?" He sneered stepping closer. "A Werewolf perhaps ?"

His teeth turned sharp as he started to change form. I was about to run, when I ran into the boy who was in the water. His eyes also glowed yellow.

"Get behind me." He said to me and I quickly obliged.

The now fully turned Werewolf was snarling and then he saw the boy standing in front of me and stopped moving.

"Get out of my way Hood." Wolf man sneered.

But the boy did not move. Was I actually awake right now? Maybe if I pinched myself I'd wake up ?

"I won't let you hurt her, Jack." He stated. "Why don't you head back home, shouldn't you be getting ready for bed ?"

The Wolf man snarled again but soon backed off and took off into the brush. I stood there, in shock. I just saw a Werewolf change form and almost became it's meal..

The boy turned around, his eyes going back to what I assume was there normal color. He walked up to me, I tried to step back but found my knees buckling. Before I could fall however, the boy caught me.

"Are you alright ?" He asked with concern.

"I..." I tried to speak, his brown eyes were quite captivating as I found myself staring into them.

The boy did the same, his grip on my arms not loosening. I soon felt this calm feeling course through me and suddenly I wasn't shaking anymore.

"You...saved me.." I said, the boy helped me stand up and I almost fall again and find my hands on his bare chest.

He sucks in a breath as he looks into my eyes again. My blue eyes must be as big as saucers right now but I couldn't look away.

"What's your name ?" He asked.

"Ha....iley " I tried to say but it came out more in a stutter.

"Hailey.." He said, my name seem to roll off his tongue and I felt my face heating up.

"What's your name ?" I asked.

"My names Calum. Are you sure you're alright ?" Calum asked.

I shook myself out whatever trance I was in and grab my phone off the ground and see it's almost 11. Oh shit.

"I need to get back." I reply about to leave but a sharp pain in my ankle almost causes me to fall again.

Calum out of nowhere lifts me up, and before I can respond, we are moving at a unusually fast speed. So fast that we're in front of my house within minutes.

He gently sets me down giving me a long look.

"It's probably best you stay out of the woods, Hailey." Calum said. "What I just did, it can't happen again."

Calum is about to leave but I grab his forearm and stop him.

"Thank you, Calum." I reply. "For saving me."

He smiles slightly and just as fast as he came, he was gone and I was alone in my front yard. I quietly snuck back into the house and slowly shut my bedroom door.

I wince at my ankle and remove my jogging clothes and change into shorts and a tank top. I jump as I hear a knock on my door. I get into bed and cover up as my door opens to reveal my Mother.

"Sorry to you wake you, but did you want to go shopping later ?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, sure." I smiled.

"Cool, I'll see you downstairs." Mom said.

Once alone, I sighed in relief. They couldn't find out about me being attacked. What happened had to stay a secret.