Chapter 5-Meet you there

I waited at the Café Calum told me to meet him at and sipped on my iced tea as I had a funny conversation with Luke.

Luke: Why did the rooster cross the road ?

Me: I don't know....why ?

Luke: Because he was Cock-blocked by his wife.

Me: Omg, Luke that was a bad joke. lmao

Luke: But it made you laugh so it couldn't have been that bad !

I chuckled and heard the front door to the Café open and see Calum enter wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses. I put my phone away and watched as he approached me.

He took the seat across from me and pulled off his sunglasses. Once again, I felt myself extremely drawn/hypnotized by his brown irises. I shook myself mentally to get my brain out of the fog his presence gave me.

"I'm surprised you contacted me." I said. "The impression I got was you didn't want to see me again."

His jaw tensed up a bit but he soon seem to relax.

"It wasn't you, Hailey. I just don't want to put you in danger again." Calum said.

I feel like that's the excuse every guy uses, that excuse to not talk to you again. But yet he was here.

"But here you are. So what's up ?" I asked calmly.

On the inside, my brain was screaming he's dangerous ! Leave now. But I felt a pull towards Calum and I had no idea why.

"You need to stay out of the woods. It's not safe for you in there." Calum said.

Is that really what he wanted to talk about ? Like Jesus, can't we talk about that weird feeling I get when I'm near him ?

"Well, duh ! I know because I was the one attacked that morning.." I said dryly.

"It's not just because of that, Hailey. It's because of who your parents are." Calum said. "The pack knows you're a Lovett and to them, you're the weakest link."

Now I really wish I had started training a lot earlier.

"So their coming after me is what you're saying ?" I asked. "What should I do ?"

That's just what I needed after everything that has happened... A pack of a Werewolves coming after me.

"They won't directly come after you."Calum stated. "But the Alpha is thinking about using you as bait to ambush your parents. If and when he does, you're at risk."

"You still haven't answered my question, what should I do ?" I reply firmly.

"For now, just stay out of the woods. Stay around people as much as you can. They can't attack if you're surrounded by others. It messes with their sense of smell." Calum said. "You also might want to learn how to fight just in case."

Way ahead of you there buddy..

"Aren't you apart of this pack ? Can't you just tell them to leave me alone ?" I asked, Calum's eyes seem to darken a bit.

"If I could, Hailey. Would I be here warning you ?" Calum said.

I shook my head at a loss for words. How does one react to being warned about Werewolves potentially coming after you ?

"So, I'm just a sitting duck." I sighed. "Minds well plan my funeral now."

Calum stretched his arms across the table and grabbed my hands gently. I looked up at him confused but relaxed when I saw the calm expression on his face.

"I won't let anything happen to you." He said. "I promise."

I looked up at him and smiled. He sounded so protective but we hardly knew each other for that to mean anything..

"Why did you save me at the lake that day ?" I asked. "I mean isn't your instinct to hunt and kill ?"

I looked into his eyes and saw many emotions running through them. I could tell he had been through a lot, I don't know why but I feel it.

"Not all of us are monsters, Hailey." Calum states. "Plus I don't really roll with the wolf pack anymore, the leader Don. All he cares about is power."

Don sounds like a real asshole....

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to sound rude." I replied. "I see you're just trying to help."

Calum gave a half smile, seeming to get lost in thought again. I wanted to know what went on in his head but we just met, so I left it alone.

"I should go." I said, getting up.

"Let me walk you home at least." Calum said, I slowly turned back around.

"You want to walk me home ?" I asked. "Aren't you worried my parents might see you ?"

Calum shrugged his shoulders.

"No, I'll be gone before they can talk to me. Please just let me walk you back." Calum said giving the cutest puppy dog pout.

God damn it, why did boys have to be so cute ?

"Fine. Let's go." I said smiling.

We headed out of the Café and walked towards my house. For the duration of the walk, we talked about random stuff to pass the time.

"Have you lived here this whole time ?" I asked after a long silence.

"No, i actually came from a smaller pack in Australia but Hunters found us and killed all of them but me." He said, his fists clenched at his sides. "I was forced to leave to survive."

I felt awful that he had to run away from where he came from just to avoid being killed. Why did society hate people that were different so much ?

"I'm sorry... that must've been awful.." I replied. "That's the main reason I didn't become a hunter like my brother. I can't kill anyone or anything. It doesn't feel right."

Calum seem to look at me for the first time, and I mean in a see into my soul kinda way.

"You're different than most hunter's kids." Calum said. "Most just want to shoot a silver arrow through our hearts."

It was weird that I was born into a Werewolf hunting family but felt so drawn to one at the same time.

We reach the gravel driveway of my house and Calum stops just at the end of the trees leading up to it. I knew he didn't want to stay for too long because of my parents.

"Thanks for walking me back, Calum." I said. "And for opening up to me about your past."

"No problem. I'll see you later. Stay out of trouble." He said and soon he was gone.

I quietly snuck back inside and shut the door and nearly screamed when I turned to see my brother leaning against the stairs.

"Kaden you got to stop doing that !" I demanded.

He gave me that look he always gave me when he knew I was up to something and said this.

"Who's that guy you were just talking to out there ?"