Chapter 22- Ambushed

The room was filled with smoke and I couldn't see a thing in front of me.

"Luke ?" I shouted, nearly choking on the smoke in the room.

"Hailey ?" Luke said from somewhere in the room. "Come find me."

I held my arms out in front of me and made my way in what I hoping was towards Luke. I nearly shrieked when someone touched my shoulders.

"Hey, hey it's alright." Luke said, his face now visible among the smoke. "Let's get out of this room."

We somehow managed to get out of my smog filled room, coughing and gasping for clear air. I leaned against the wall and slowly caught my breath.

"What was that ?" I asked, clearing my throat.

"That was.." Luke said, coughing a bit. "A smoke bomb, a very potent one too.."

We heard another crash from my room and as the smoke cleared, the outline of a figure became evident.

"Um I think we should get out of here.." I said, nudging Luke towards the stairs.

"I think your right.." Luke replied and we rushed down the stairs and nearly ran into my brother.

"Hailey, their here." Kaden said in a panic. "You need to run !"

"Wait, who ?" Luke cut in.

"Us I'm assuming." Someone said from the stairs.

We turned around and it was none other than Michael Clifford himself. Two other men came from the kitchen, they had weird glowing clubs in their fists.

Kaden pulled me behind him protectively, glaring at the 3 men cornering us in the living room.

"We can do this the easy way." Michael said, his palm lighting up. "Or the hard way."

Why did Calum have to leave ? We need him now more than ever !

"I won't let you take her." Kaden spat.

"Neither will I." Luke added.

Michael and his goons laughed.

"You really think you can stop us ?" Michael scoffed. "You have no idea what power the 3 of us hold."

"Proving how big your balls are isn't going to prove you aren't a fucking pussy." Luke spat, Michael did not like that...

"Was my men beating you up not enough to convince you Luke ?" Michael retorted. "I always get my way."

Luke glared daggers at him, while Kaden lunges at one of the men, tackling him onto the ground.

"Get out of here, Hailey !" Kaden grunted as he struggled with the man.

When the other man comes towards us, Luke wacks him with a lamp.

"Listen to him, Hailey." Luke said. "GO !"

And rushes the other man, I run towards the door and proceed to open it but it slams shut again making me scream.

"You're not going anywhere." Michael said, his palm was glowing even more.

I clenched my fists together, getting quite frustrated as I could feel the heat rising in my body. Oh my god, it was happening again like in the woods...

"Stay away from me !" I warned, my fists were tingling from clenching them so tight.

Michael's palm started to glow again, a white orb forming in his hand.

"I don't want to have to hurt you sweetheart." Michael stated. "Just come quietly."

Next thing I know my own palm was glowing and the moment I lifted it in front of me the room was blinded with light. I heard groans and shouts as I went back to the door and pull it open.

"STOP HER !" Michael shouted from behind the bright light but I was already running.

Nearly stumbling on the porch, I bolt as fast as I can towards the woods. A ball of fire flys inches past my head, hitting a tree. I dodge and continue to run, not bothering to look back.

"HAILEY !" Someone shouted, wasn't really sure who.

I ran trying to map my way towards where I hoped Calum was because he was literally the only one I could turn to after leaving my brother and best friend to a pack of crazy Warlocks.

It felt like I was running forever until I found myself at Echo Lake, huh ? I thought I was running the opposite direction ? I stopped when I saw Calum sitting on the edge of the dock.

"Calum ?" I shouted, rushing towards him.

He turned around bewildered as I wrapped my arms around him relieved to have found him.

"Hailey ? What are you doing out here ?" Calum asked with concern. "It's not safe !"

"Well it's not safe for me at home either !" I stated trying to catch my breath. "Michael and his coven ambushed us at my house, Luke and my brother stayed behind so I could get away.."

Calum held me tight in his arms when he got the full story. He rushed me to his safe place nearby so we could talk without running into any warlocks or werewolves.

I sat down as he wrapped a blanket around me, it was cooler in the cave as Calum sat next to me. We were silent for a long while before I spoke up.

"We need to get that Scepter now." I said. "This madness has got to stop."

Calum wrapped his arm around me and hugged me delicately as if I was a fragile doll that could break at any moment.

"I'm not sure that's such a good idea.." Calum replied and I gave him a incredulous look.

"What ??" I asked confused. "Why ?"

Calum pulled some folded papers out of his pocket and it was research on the scepter and how the powers within was activated.

"The only way Michael can exploit the powers of the scepter is by using you." Calum started. "He knows where the scepter is but he can't access it without your help."

So only I could get it out of the lake ? No wonder they're after me. Great, why was I chosen to have this power ? I really don't want it.

"So if we leave it in the lake, they can't access it without my power ?" I asked.

"That's exactly what I'm saying." Calum stated. "We need to get you out of here, Michael will come looking for you and he's probably pissed that you got away again."

He pulled me up but I wouldn't budge.

"What about my brother and Luke ?" I asked. "We can't just leave them !"

"They would want you to get to safety." Calum said calmly. "Don't worry about them, Michael is after you. not them."