Chapter 8-The Hunt

"Dadddd, do I really have to come with you two ?" I whined as I sat at the kitchen table.

"Come on Hales, it's apart of your training. I promise we won't make you kill anything." Dad said, dropping the cereal box in front of me.

"But killing is the best part, Dad." Kaden chimed in, my brother was a sociopath I swear.

"You know your sister loves animals, Kade. Give her a break." Mom adds giving me a bowl.

"Thank you." I said, pouring the milk in my bowl. "Besides I think werewolves are kinda cute in a scary kinda way."

Kaden laughed, shoving cereal in his mouth.

"Did you hit your head while in New York ?" Kaden asked. "Werewolves are anything but cute."

There was a knock at the door and my Mom went to get it. A few moments later, she came in with Luke.

"Hey Hailey." Luke says taking a seat at our table.

"Luke, what are you doing here ?" I asked. "Did my Dad invite you to hunt too ?"

"Yes I did actually." Dad said giving him some cereal. "The young man says he's never learned how to hunt. So I thought I'd teach him."

Of course he did....my Dad was obsessed with hunting..

"You sure you want to see a Werewolf, Luke ?" I asked, my mind flashing back to my close encounter.

"Yes I'm sure, don't worry I won't let the bad wolves get you." Luke smirked.

I gave him a playful glare and went back to eating my cereal. Of course Dad wanted us to eat enough so we could spend all day out in the woods.

Soon we were off in Dad's hunting Jeep. I was relieved we wouldn't be walking all the way there. I sat in the back with Luke, while my Dad and Kaden sat up front.

"So, where are we going ?" I asked as Dad started the car.

"The marshes, right off where most of the wolves live." Dad said. "Don't worry we will be safe."

My Dad's definition of safe was completely different than my definition. I wiggled in my seat uncomfortably, I hoped Calum steered clear of us, didn't want my Dad or brother discovering he was the one I was talking to.

"Hey, you ok Princess ?" Luke asked me.

"Did you just call me Princess ?" I replied avoiding the question.

My Dad coughed awkwardly from the driver's seat.

"Luke if you're gonna flirt with my daughter, I have to get to know you first." He said, eyeing Luke from the mirror.

My cheeks turned red at the mention of Flirt. Luke blushed sheepishly as he ran his had through his hair.

"Sorry, Mr.Lovett." He said meekly.

I elbowed Luke and gave him a reassuring smile. My Dad maybe crazy sometimes but he has never killed any of my Ex's. Yet. That is.

We soon arrived at the marshes as my Dad called them. All seemed quiet, not a wolf in site. Maybe we wouldn't see any. I spoke too soon when I heard a wolf howl.

"Watch and learn little sis." Kaden said as he unbuckled his seatbelt.

"I want you two to stay behind us. Got it ?" Dad said eyeing us both.

He didn't give us a chance to respond either before exiting the car. I looked at Luke before I exit the car. Once we were all walking, I could hear the sound of crickets as we neared the woods.

It was much darker inside the forest than the outside. I got a uneasy feeling in my tummy as I followed my Dad and Brother, Luke trailed shortly behind me.

Rustling could be heard further down the brush. My Dad and Kaden load their guns as they motioned for us to stay back. Me and Luke stood behind a tree, watching as they got closer.

"This is awesome." Luke whispered. "Do you think it's a Werewolf ?"

I nervously waited as my Dad and Brother pushed the leaves away only for a deer to coming bolting out. I leaned against the tree and sighed in relief.

"It was just Bambi." I smiled, walking over to join my Dad and Brother.

"Come on, let's keep going." Dad said and we trekked further into the woods.

Then as we walked, I had another weird vision. There was wolves running through this exact spot in the woods. Gunshots can be heard, I heard someone calling my name and then a blast sent me reeling.

"Hailey what's wrong ?" Luke asked, I snapped out of my funk and saw he had his hands on my shoulders as if he was trying to calm me down.

What happened ?

"Hailey, are you alright ?" My Dad asked after I didn't respond to Luke.

"Yeah, why ?" I said a bit confused, I don't even remember anything while I was having this weird vision.

"You started screaming." Kaden said. "Did you see a huge bug or something ?"

I was confused more than ever, these visions were getting out of hand. I needed to figure out what the hell they were about.

"I'm....fine." I said. "I'm sorry, I saw something and I guess it freaked me out."

That's when a loud rustling started and a low growl started rumbling as it got closer and closer to us. My stomach dropped as I cowered behind Luke 'who is a giant by the way'.

My Dad loaded his gun as did Kaden and they pointed their guns towards the approaching growls.

"Luke, get Hailey and run back to the car." My Dad stated throwing him the keys to the Jeep.

"Dad ! What are you doing ?" I asked as my voice raised.

"Just go Hales. Kaden you should go with them." Dad said.

Kaden looked between me and Dad a confused and upset expression settled on his face.

"No ! I'm not leaving you by yourself Dad !" Kaden snapped.

"GO ! All of you ! Before they reach us." Dad demanded. "I'll be fine, just get out of here."

Luke grabbed my arm and started to pull me away from the growling. Kaden gave Dad one last look before following me and Luke out of the woods.

When we reached the Jeep we were all out of breath. Luke fumbled with the keys and nearly dropped them as he stuck them in the door.

"I can't believe we just left Dad back there Hales." Kaden said panicking. "I should've stayed to help."

A howl pierced the sky startling us, I hoped Dad was ok...

"We need to get in the Jeep. NOW !" Luke shouted and we rushed inside, locking the doors once settled in our seats.

"Wait wait ! We can't just leave him in there !" Kaden said.

"Kaden, Dad told us to run. So we have to listen to him." I said not really sure of what I was saying anymore.

That's when a wolf came out of the woods, coming straight towards us !

"Fuck.." Luke said under his breath.

The wolf came barreling towards us as Luke tried to start the car. Then it made impact with the Jeep.