↳ chapter 47

Shoto panicked. He couldn't tell her who it was yet. Plus, she would immediately turn him down and reject him. He stuttered and stumbled over his words, trying to avoid the question. Meanwhile, Sakura felt discouraged. Shoto liked another girl, and he was just testing out his new attitude on her. But she had to admit, it was kind of cute to see Shoto acting all flustered in front of her. At the same him, she ground her teeth together, breathing slowly from her mouth. She had a feeling that Shoto liked Yaoyorozu, and all she could feel at that moment was pure anger, with a hint of jealousy. Of course, Shoto liked her. She was sweet, she was kind, and he was taking advice from her because he liked her.

  Everyone like Yaoyorozu, including Sakura herself. She had the looks, she had the money, she had a cool quirk, she had the body, she had everything attractive about a girl. She was perfect, and Sakura wasn't. While Yaoyorozu was innocent, sweet and sophisticated, Sakura was rowdy, messy and always had mood swings. While Yaoyorozu drank tea and was an all-out pleasant girl, Sakura spent most of her days on the couch eating potato chips, jamming her head out to music while reading an occasional book, and always scolded everyone for the tiniest details. It was no wonder that Shoto liked Yaoyorozu and not her.

  Meanwhile, Shoto was freaking out on the spot. What was he supposed to say? He couldn't straight out say that it was her, and at the same time, he couldn't tell her that he didn't want to tell her, because that would be implying that he couldn't trust her. Well, that's what Yaoyorozu said anyways, about how girl's feelings were complicated and that he had to overthink everything before he said anything. Before a single word could even be uttered by Shoto, Sakura helped with a sour look on her face.

"It's Yaoyorozu-san, isn't it? I hope you two will be happy together," she said with a ferocious undertone.

"What? No!" he denied, but Sakura wasn't convinced.

"Don't worry, you don't have to tell me. I've suddenly lost my appetite, I'll just wait until breakfast tomorrow," she said, exiting the kitchen before either of them could do anything else.

  Shoto's mind told him to move, to grab her wrist and tell her that it wasn't Momo, but his body stood still like a deer in headlights. He did not attempt stopping her, simply staring at her as she left the kitchen. What was he going to do now? He cursed under his breath, mentally slapping himself. Why didn't he stop her? What would he do now? He sighed. She must've still been hungry, perhaps he would make some food for her and just leave it outside for her or something. He was surprised at himself thinking of a good idea for once. Without wasting any time, he quickly got to boiling water for the soba he was going to deliver to her dorm. After making the soba, he left the soba outside with the note, knocking the door and quickly scampering away, knowing that she wouldn't want to see him. He just hoped that she would open the door and accept his note.

••

  I heard the knocking sounds on my door. As soon as I opened my mouth to tell whoever it was to go away, the muffled sound of footsteps running in the opposing direction on the floorboards echoes to her room. Feeling slightly curious, I made an effort to go outside and open the door. Twisting the doorknob and pulling it open, I was surprised to see a tray of soba and a note at my feet. I bent down to pick it up and brought it to my desk, promptly closing the door behind. I sat down and picked up the note first, scanning it.

Dear Sakura,

I deeply apologize if I said anything wrong just now. I'm sorry for throwing away your cup noodles, so I made you a healthy meal. I hope you like it! Please don't go to sleep hungry. :(

Yours truly,

Todoroki Shoto

I looked down at the note. That dork knew how to make me feel warm inside, unintentional or not. I put the note aside, digging into Shoto's wonderful soba noodles that he cooked for me. For me. I blushed at the warm gesture. I should have been the one to apologize for my idiotic behaviour.

Just like that, the first semester passed by with the blink of an eye. All of us had known each other for only half a year, yet I couldn't imagine what life would be like if I didn't know them. We were all standing in the courtyard when Hound Dog started barking about how two students were fighting last night. Our whole class turned our heads to look at the floor. Last night, Izuku and Bakugo were fighting for some unknown reason. We felt embarrassed by the irresponsible behaviour of our classmates who we didn't even stop when we realized the absences of the two boys. Finally, the assembly was over, much to our relief and the other class' confusion. I heard mutters about the rumours circling the topic and picked my up speed, walking to the classroom.

As we took our seats, Aizawa-sensei came in with that demonic grin on his face, briefing us about how we would be continuing with normal class activities, but training would be much harder, the Work-Studies. My mind immediately went to Hawks. Would I be allowed to intern with him? His company did have a good record, so I supposed I could if I wanted to. For the rest of the day, we continued with our normal lessons, such as Yamada-sensei (aka Present Mic) teaching us grammar for our English, and as Ectoplasm taught us math. Lessons certainly were a lot harder, and they constantly wrote down stuff on the whiteboard for us to copy, erasing it almost a few seconds later, giving us a harder time to copy notes. If anyone entered our classroom, the only thing they would hear is the sound of Ectoplasm's voice, the rustling of paper and the clicking of pens.

This semester was going to be way harder.