- 36 -

::: Alain's POV :::

"Would you care to see?"

It was supposed to be an easy mission. It was supposed to be like any other mission. I was supposed to get close to her as a way to trust me. It was never to the point where I felt guilty about doing this. I should have just ignored the feeling and continued on. But she, she was so welcoming and kind. She didn't even have a second thought in trusting me. She just...did it. She would always play around with us and we did the same. She always had a smile on her face. She was even kind of enough to tell us to join the group.

"Alain...who are you talking to?"

She was never supposed to find out this way. She was never supposed to know. I should have paid more attention to my surroundings at the time. Her eyes...they held such a betrayed look as if it had happened to her before. Why did...why did I feel the urge to throw the device away and never look back? Why didn't I do it the first time? What...stopped me? Why couldn't I just do something? Why did I ignore her?

"Chespie...Chespie isn't responding!"

And to make matters worse, the one person who has tried her hardest to befriend me and always found a way to make smile has been hurt. I shouldn't have shouted at her, told her it wasn't the time. But she would always have time for me. Her cries as tears fell down her face, I will never forget it. I hurt the one person who cared enough about me. I can't go on like this.

~

I held Mairin's hand tightly with my own. Chespie was being held with my other arm, gently enough as to not hurt him. His entire body was glowing an unnatural green. But judging from his breathing, he was still alive. Whatever happened must have sent him into a coma. He would not open his eyes what's so ever, it was if they were glued shut. Mairin's crying shortly turned into sniffles. She would wipe her nose with her sleeve occasionally. I couldn't bear to look at her right now. Not after what I had done to everyone.

I came to a stop under a tree branch, taking the time to catch my breath. Mairin dropped to her knees the second we stopped and took deep breaths. I leaned against the tree for support, pushing my head back. I glance down at Chespie, checking to see if there were any differences but unfortunately, nothing was different.

"Chespie..." Mairin whimpered, her eyes staring sadly at Chespie's form.

My eyes soften at her expression and I sit down on the ground. "Mairin...what exactly happened?"

"...After you harshly spoke to me," Mairin began, sniffling. I cringe remembering the tone of voice I used on her. "I wasn't looking where I was going and tripped. Chespie helped me stand back up but shortly pulled me over towards the forest. I didn't want to, so...so I told him to stop. I told him everything was going to right how it was before you and the others distanced yourselves. We...we realized we were lost and went looking for you. Chespie ran away and stood on a rock. As he...as he...ran towards me...a green beam hit him! It hit him, Alain! And I couldn't do anything to stop it!"

Mairin hid her face in her hands as she began to cry once more. My heart broke in pieces. I have never seen her like this. She would always smile no matter the situations. But this time, her smile was gone. The smile I had grown fond of would never show again. And it was my fault.

I shuffled over to her and brought her into a hug, careful with Chespie. She clutched my shirt tightly, her entire body shaking. I felt pathetic, pathetic I couldn't do anything but comfort her. I close my eyes and placed my head on hers. I tighten my hands into fists, my hands began to hurt as my nails dug into the skin.

"I want Chespie back...give me Chespie back..." Mairin mumbled.

There's something I can do. Something that can cheer her up. I can't stand her being like this. She didn't deserve any of this, so why was she the one? Why couldn't it have been me? Her sobs continued on, her tears staining my shirt. I can't do this anymore. I have to tell her who I really am. And what I had to do. If I keep this secret any more, she'll hate me and will no longer want to have anything to do with me.