- 38 -

Two big brown eyes stared up at me, looking at me with curiosity. The young girl tilts her head to the side, blinking her big eyes. She then gives me a big grin, a small coat of blush decorating her cheeks. A stuffed Buneary doll was held in her right hand. Her blond hair was held up in pigtails. She wore a white shirt with a brown jacket on top. Her pink shorts and pink backpack stood out the most along with her green sock. She wore brown shoes on her small feet.

Calem looked at the young girl with uncertainty, his hand resting on his hip. I couldn't blame him. What was a girl her age doing out here in the woods? And with no parents or Pokemon around. I crouch down in front of her and give her a smile, pushing a piece of my hair out of the way.

"Hi, sweetie. Would you mind telling me your name?" I kindly asked her.

"My name's Ella! And this is my ultra best friend, Bunn-Bunn!" she happily replied, showing me her stuffed Buneary.

"Would you mind telling me how old you are?" I asked, giggling at her enthusiasm.

She held out five fingers and said, "I'm five-years-old! I'm a big girl now!"

I let out a giggle at her enthusiasm. "You sure are. Five is a big number. Now, would you mind te—"

"Woah! What's that?!" Ella exclaimed, pointing at Takeo, who was sitting on my shoulder. She tickled it slightly causing Takeo to jump off my shoulder and runoff. "Hey, wait up!"

I watched with a nervous smile as she caught Takeo and was tickling the lights out off it. It struggled to escape her grasp, wiggling all over her hands. I tried telling her to leave the poor Pokemon alone but she completely ignored my comment, too focused on Takeo. Calem let out a frustrated sigh and crossed his arms.

"We're going to get nowhere with this," he made his way over to Ella, making me slightly worried. He seemed genuinely annoyed. He bent down to her height as she faced him, her face changing into a fearful expression. Takeo took this as a chance to escape and jump onto Calem's shoulders.

"Hey, Calem, maybe you—" I stopped halfway with my comment as I watched Ella's face light up as Calem said something I couldn't quite hear.

Calem gave her a kind smile and rubbed her head. "Say, Ella. What's a young girl like yourself doing out here all by yourself? Where are your parents?"

"I...I don't know," Ella's eyes saddened as she looked down at the ground. "I got lost and I don't know where my mommy and daddy are. We...we got separated. I stayed here in case they came back, but...they never did. I...I think they forgot about me..."

"Dry your tears away. I'm sure that's not the case," Calem gently spoke, wiping the tears from Ella's eyes. "I'm certain your parents love you and are looking for you as we speak. They would never forget about their daughter."

I smile at the scene and walk over towards them. I lay a hand on Calem's shoulder and bent down. "He's right. There's no way they would forget someone as cute as yourself. You're their daughter, they're priced possession. They must be worried sick and frantically looking for you. So wipe those tears away and smile. Your smile brings anyone joy."

Ella wiped her tears with the back of her hand. She gave us both a smile and sniffed. Calem stood up and offered his hand at her.

"Come on. We'll help you find you're parents," Calem said as Ella grabbed ahold of his hand. "As long as you hold on tightly, I won't let go of you. That way you won't get lost."

"Okay...papa," Ella softly said.

Calem and I looked at each other with surprised, not sure why Ella would call Calem her dad. But nonetheless, I found it adorable. I never knew Calem was great with kids.