CHAPTER 1

PRESENT DAY ISRAEL AFTER BABYLONIAN INVASION

He couldn't believe he was late again. It seems to be becoming a habit and he's been warned by Papa Emmanuel against going late for meetings. But Benjamin couldn't help it. He didn't plan on being late today, but by the time he was done dressing up, the time seemed to have just flown. Well, he knew just what to do, the method worked for him all the time - it saved him from the wrath of his spiritual leader.

****************
It was that time of the day when the weather smiled, the wind blew and the leaves danced to the rhythm of the wind, so much that one could feel it in their skin. At this time, one's spirit was open for the Lord to speak. After years of being a spiritual leader, Emmanuel knew these things. Not that he planned to be a leader, but there wasn't much choice in a strange time when the real leaders have all been imprisoned and some of them killed. Emmanuel knew that he didn't have any option but to rise to the office given him by his people. Better him than no one. And truth be said, he did enjoy the position, for it accorded him an intimate relationship with the Lord.

He wasn't always this quiet and wise man that his people looked up to today. He was different - not as quiet and not half as wise. The Lord has blessed him with such peace and great wisdom to lead his people. He was a grateful man.

"Benjamin is late again," he says aloud. "This child doesn't want to change. He doesn't understand time and season."

No sooner has he uttered these words, that he sight Benjamin in a distance, running.

"What will be his excuse today?" He asks wearily.

****************
Immediately he saw the look on Papa Emmanuel's face, Benjamin knew he was in trouble. The believers meeting was going to start in few minutes and they were yet to set the room neither had they prepared the light snacks they promised the members in the last meeting. Benjamin was sorry, and it reflected on his handsome face.

"I'm so sorry, Papa Emmanuel," he cries as he steps inside the house. "I didn't want to be late today. I don't even know what happened." He apologised to an expressionless looking Emmanuel.

"Apologies won't change anything, Son," Emmanuel says in that calm manner of his. "You have to choose to be early, or you'll keep not knowing how it happened."

Emmanuel was a man that said things as they were. He was never afraid of telling the truth, even if it hurt. He believed that only the truth was able to set a man free.

"I know and I promise to change." He replies with confidence.

"Let's start arranging, the meeting will begin soon." Emmanuel orders not minding his promise to change. They will talk about that later. Now, they had a meeting to prepare for.

****************
Gad looked around hurriedly, he thought he heard a sound, but it was just the ruffling of the leaves by the wind. He knew it was time for Bible Study but he was going to miss it. Being a guard of the King came with certain sacrifices. It came with the job. Hadassah's presence will make up for his absence. That child wouldn't miss Bible Study for the world. Thoughts of her made him proud. He was proud of the young woman she was becoming and the values she esteemed. If only her parents were alive to see her, they would have been so proud. He has come to love her as his own child, though she was his cousin. Hadassah was the daughter he never had and her presence with him made up for the wife the Lord never gave him.