CHAPTER 17

I dedicate this chapter to someone I consider to be my online friend, jasminerideal.

It was that time of the year – the time when the King held dinners to show off the grandeur of his splendor and riches. Kings, Princes and Nobles were invited from all nearby provinces. King Ardates was a show off. He took pride in showing to the world his vast Kingdom and others he has conquered – Judah being one of them.

“I want the halls brightly lit and the best of dishes served!” King Ardates howled commands at his head of slaves. He was going to have a lot of royal bloods present and he planned on giving them the best of dinners, one that they will never forget.

                                      ❁❁
Queen Sabitum ordered the slaves on how she expected the decorations to be. She was hosting all the royal women of nearby provinces and just like her husband, she wanted the best. This was one dinner she wanted her guests to remember forever.

                                     ❁❁
A nervous Benjamin stood beside Hadassah as she introduced him to her Uncle.

“Uncle, I want you to meet my friend from Bible Study, Benjamin.”

Gad weighed Benjamin with his eyes, his annoyance at seeing a young man inside his house was evident. He trusted Hadassah and knew without a doubt that she wouldn’t dishonour him in any way; still he didn’t like to know that her friend appeared more manly than boyish.  Whatever the young man wanted with his cousin, he was about to find out.

Gad surreptitiously continued to scan Benjamin’s appearance, but the face he was seeing wasn’t one he had seen before in Bible Study. Not like he attended Bible Study often. “How are you?” He asked taking in Benjamin’s athletic frame with his eyes. The young man was larger than his Hadassah.

“I’m fine, Sir,” Benjamin replied politely. Hadassah never talks much about her Uncle. He took it that the two weren’t very close.

“I met Benjamin in Bible Study, Uncle.” Hadassah said nervously, trying to stop him from looking at her friend like he was a criminal.

Coming out of his stare, Gad gave the younger man a tight lipped smile to put him at ease. “Why don’t you sit down, Hadassah. And you too,” he pointed to Benjamin. “I’ve never seen you before, Benjamin,” his eyes back on the young man as they all sat down, while his lips tried his name as though it was strange.

Benjamin quickly darted his gaze to Hadassah, “I assist Papa Emmanuel to prepare for our meetings. He knows me so well.” His eyes pleaded with Hadassah for help. He hoped that at the mention of Papa Emmanuel, Gad was going to trust him.

“What do you want with Hadassah?” Gad asked matter of fact style. He wasn’t going to beat about the bush. Hadassah was a young woman; she deserved a man who loves her, not one whose intentions are ungodly.

“He’s just a friend, Uncle.” Hadassah intervened before Benjamin answered. She didn’t think Gad was going to embarrass her this much. She was a grown woman!

Giving no attention to her, Gad locked eyes with Benjamin. This was a man to man discussion. Benjamin was going to answer all his questions if he wanted to continue being friends with Hadassah.

“I’m just a friend, Sir. I respect your daughter.”

“You better. Hadassah isn’t any kind of lady.” Gad believed they both have come to an understanding.

Filled with shame, Hadassah sat quietly without a word. Her Uncle has completely disgraced her before Benjamin. From the moment Benjamin appeared on her front door she knew something might go wrong. She didn’t even know her Uncle would return earlier than usual. It’s no wonder she didn’t introduce Benjamin to him in Bible Study last week. Gad was a cultural man.

                                  ❁❁
“I’m sorry about my Uncle.” A shy Hadassah said to Benjamin as he left her house.

“You don’t have to apologise. I’m not angry, Hadassah.” Gad was being overly protective of her and he understood that. He would do the same for his sister if he had one.

“No, is not.” Her voice was laced with hurt. “My Uncle treats me like I’m a child.”

“Don’t do that to yourself, Hadassah,” Benjamin started. “Your Uncle is only trying to protect you.” He stopped to hold her hand, she shivered a little. He didn’t know if it was from the cold or his touch. “Besides he will see that I mean you no harm as he gets to know me.” He raised her chin so their eyes were locking. Benjamin was a tall man. It took Hadassah’s face raised to look into his eyes. “I am here to stay, Hadassah.” 

He would protect her with his life if he had to. Gad didn’t know it yet, but what Benjamin has for Hadassah was deep. Seeing her hurt because of him also made him hurt. Not even Gad was going to push him away from the woman he loves.

Hadassah was touched by his words.

“You should go back now. I wouldn’t want your Uncle thinking I stole you,” he said jokingly, which made Hadassah laugh – the first since her Uncle started asking him questions.

“See you next week, Benjamin.”

                                   ❁❁  
The first wing of the King’s villa echoed with different kind of musicals. Foods were in excess, the hall was lavishly decorated with hanging of white and blue linens, fastened with cords of purple to silver rings on marble pillars. The beautiful chandeliers shone brightly with light. The choicest of wine was served in goblets of gold.

King Ardates sat comfortably with the Princes and Nobles of other provinces. They talked about the most mundane things and drank until they became drunk. He boasted of the lands he had conquered and the amount of his riches.

Gershom got drunk and discussed with the King, waiting for the right moment to make known his request.

                             ❁❁ 
Queen Sabitum's party in the second part of the villa was filled with the choicest of food and wine. Her guest crowded the expensively decorated hall in their royal palus. These women were the wives of all the Noble officials and Princesses from nearby provinces.

Queen Sabitum entertained her guest with the best. She looked stunning in her long purple palus and the golden crown atop her head.  She smiled at a guest here, made small talk with another guest there. Sabitum was a master of hosting beautiful dinners and she knew how to entertain her guest. No one got tired in her parties. Her beauty was enough reason for her guest to be entertained. Guest fed on her astounding beauty and took delight in just staring at her. Tonight wasn’t an exception, for she looked ravishing in the purple palus that accentuated her curves.

                                     ❁   
A/N: I'll be happy to know your thoughts on this book. Remember to vote, follow and recommend this book to your friends.
Happy New Month❤.
Lots of love,
Jolade.