CHAPTER 9

Gershom banged the door as he entered the villa, his eyes blazing red. He couldn't believe that the King refused to sign the law concerning the annihilation of the Jews. He always saw King Ardates as a weak man –  being too soft. Well, he wasn't going to give up yet. The Jews were a good for nothing people and until he saw that they were all killed, he vowed not to have peace.

Gershom's thought were so encumbering that he didn't hear his wife as she walked carefully into the courtyard.

"What troubles you, Gershom?" Nana inquired of her husband. A glance at his muscular face had told her he was troubled about something. She hoped he would open up to her. Gershom was a private man; he never let her in on his affairs. He always shut her out.

Turning red eyes to look at her, "And how does it matter to you, Woman." He queried sternly taking Nana off guard. Not like she expected anything better. After all her years with Gershom, Nana knew her husband for what he was – filled with evil schemes.

"Gershom! How can you say that to me," she asked with feigned shock. "I am your wife." She added quietly, her voice low with hidden hurt and shame.

"Oh, get over yourself, Nana." He rolls his eyes at her. "You know better than meddling in my matters. Not like you will understand." He says under his breath, but it was loud enough for Nana to hear. This wasn't the response Nana expected. She knew Gershom didn't have the best of characters, but he could be better. He just chose to be mean to her.

Her composure more confident, her eyes resilient and her words firm, Nana replied, "Have it your way." And she stormed off from him. She wasn't in a mood herself. Her life was breaking into pieces and she didn't know how to stop it. Marrying Gershom may have been her greatest mistake.

"Walk away!" He yelled after her, trying to hide his surprise. His wife was usually so calm and patient that not even his attitudes ruffled her. Perhaps he has pushed her too far. "I'll handle my matters myself." He poured himself wine from a wineskin a slave had brought to him when he first entered the villa but had forgotten it by thought that plagued his heart – killing the Jews.

                      ****************
"Oh Lord of Isreal, rescue your children from this pain, Lord. Heal our land. Let not your people be disgraced and mocked." These were the only words she could utter before the she was overtaken by deep sobs that choked her words.

Adah was hurt beyond words. The Lord has forgotten them. His ears have been shut against them. The words of Emmanuel as he read from the book of Prophet Isaiah came rushing back, '...For your sake I will send to Babylon and bring down as fugitives all the Babylonians in the ship in which they took pride....' Remembering these words didn't make her feel any better than she felt before. It made her weep even more.

"How long, Lord? How long will this prophecy take until it is fulfilled? She cried making her voice come out as though she was choking. "Your children are weary, we are broken to the bones. We...we live like slaves in our own land. We are terrorised and afraid. Come! Come Lord!" Adah prayed earnestly with her head bowed down in her small room. She knew God loved her people, she just didn't understand why He won't rescue them yet.

"Be still and know that I am the Lord." A still small voice whispered like a wind into her ears instilling a peace in Adah that no words could describe.

                     ****************
"Hadassah," Miriam called from inside the house. "It's dinner time." And at once, little Hadassah joyfully picked up her dolls and ran inside. Dinner time was her favourite time. Taking her seat beside Miriam who served her food of bread, meat and a cup of goat milk, Hadassah's excitement was palpable.

"Thank you Mama. I love you." She thanked Miriam who playfully ruffles her hair.

"I love you, my Hadassah," Miriam replied.
Smiling like the happy child she was, Hadassah takes her mother's hand.

"Where's Papa?" She asked innocently, her beautiful brown eyes looking dolefully at Miriam. She was so beautiful that all Miriam wanted to do was hug her tight and never let go.

"He's working late tonight," Miriam responded, encouraging her to eat her food. Hadassah was used to eating her dinner with her father. But Aharon couldn't make it tonight. He had to work late. "He'll be home soon, Hadassah." Miriam added in a bid to make her daughter eat her food without looking like she was about to cry.

"I miss Papa."

"He misses you too." Miriam prayed her husband would walk through those doors soon enough so their daughter could eat her food in peace. Aharon was a good father, she was proud of how he loved Hadassah.

"Will Papa be home soon?" Hadassah asked with her mouth full.

"Hadassah don't talk with your mouth full." Miriam rebuked her mildly. Taking a sip of her milk, Hadassah remained quiet for the rest of her dinner.

   ...FOLLOW... COMMENT... VOTE...