CHAPTER 7

He knew if he didn’t hurry he would be late. Benjamin checked himself casually in the small mirror in front of him. He was handsome. He knew it. Everyone knew it. As a young man in his twenties, he was the dream man for many young women. He was tall, had brown hair and a well defined chin. Though his parents were materially poor, there was one thing they had in abundance – words of affirmation. His mother particularly made him aware from childhood that he was fearfully and wonderfully made. And beyond his good looks, Benjamin did see himself for all his mother told him. Maybe it’s the reason his confidence was healthy. He believed he could get any girl of his choice. He had the looks and confidence to woo any girl, including Hadassah – the one who has made his nights sleepless and consumed his thoughts.

Hadassah was the woman he wanted.

                          ****************
“Today we would look at the words of Prophet Isaiah.” Emmanuel’s voice buzzed in the tiny room filled with people whose hearts were at the verge of despair. “I know these are difficult days for us, our faith is being tested without a doubt and our spirits are becoming weak.” He meets eyes with his people as he continues: “But the words of Prophet Isaiah tells us, “This is what the Lord says, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Isreal: For your sake I will send to Babylon and bring down as fugitives all the Babylonians in the ships in which they took pride, I am the Lord, your King.”

Emmanuel waits for the words to sink in, his eyes on every one of them, as he offers a silent prayer that his words penetrate into their hearts. He continues: “Those are the words of the Lord to the Prophet Isaiah before this captivity. The Lord knew what was coming and He has promised to deliver us in His own time.”

Hadassah frowned, confused by his every word.

“What troubles you, Hadassah?” Emmanuel asked. He could see that she was confused. She hadn’t known he would see her, now she was shy speaking in a room this full.

“What…” she looks around shyly.
“When is the Lord’s time?”

“No one knows, child, only the Lord.”
Knowing that many others might have such questions in their hearts, he adds: “We can trust the perfect timing of God. That’s our duty for this time.”

It wasn’t easy demanding trust from them, but that was all they could do. God has promised to rescue them, the time and hour, they knew not, trusting His words were all that mattered. Trust was the only thing that would keep them in the remaining difficult years ahead.

                        ****************
Hadassah joined the others in tidying after Bible Study when she felt someone beside her. She knew even before she saw the face. It was him. Again.

“Would you let me walk with you today?” Was the first thing he said when she eventually looked at him. Her face void of expression and her mouth slightly agape. Hadassah didn’t know how to respond. Her uncle hadn’t prepared her for such attention from a man.

“Blessed evening to you.” She responds when her mouth could find words to say, averting her brown eyes from his piercing ones.

He was embarrassed. “Where are your manners, Benjamin?” He scolds himself. “Forgive my manners, my Lady,” he bows and then adds: “My name is Benjamin and I know you are Hadassah.” Confidence reflecting in his voice. Hadassah only stares at him. How did he know her name when she hadn’t even introduced herself.

Clearing her throat, she replies, “Oh, Benjamin, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” She didn’t want to ask how he knew her name; after all, they attended the same Bible Study. She would ask him that another day. “What did you ask again?”

“I asked if I could walk you home.”

“I’m not sure. I’ll rather walk alone.” Her uncle wouldn’t be pleased if he learnt that she was seen with a man. In this small town, everyone knew everyone’s business.

“Are you sure?” He asked, his eyes begging her to say otherwise. He saw how unsure she was and wasn’t certain if she meant what she said. “I insist, Hadassah,” he pleads.

Thinking about it for some time, she replies, “Okay.” Finally conceding to his request.

Smiling, Benjamin stretches out his hand to her with a bow, reflecting the gentleman he was.

In her head, Hadassah was having a conflict of thoughts as she places her hand in his: Who was this Benjamin? Why did he make her beat so fast? She didn’t understand all the emotions he was causing inside of her.

Benjamin joined her in tidying the room, for after then, he had the honours of walking with the woman of his dreams. Hadassah.

                         ****************
Mylitta was happy for the company of Tiamat. The two have been friends since childhood. Tiamat was the sister she never had, or Mother didn’t want. She remembered as a child how Father often talked about another child, but Mother being so conscious of her shape, didn’t consent to the idea. For her having another child meant labour and frankly, she didn’t have any more strength for that. Maintaining her slender figure was important.

Mylitta didn’t blame her. Childbearing was difficult. Tiamat was her only excuse for Father to permit her outside the walls of the villa without a servant. How they grated on her nerves, but Mother insist it’s for her good. Jews, all of them, self righteous people, always making her feel like she was evil.

Tiamat watches her friend carefully, her eyes observing the vein that appeared on Mylitta’s neck. “What troubles you, Mylitta?” She finally asked.

With a hiss and weariness that even the cool wind couldn’t blow away, Mylitta replies, “I’m just tired of Father treating me like a child! He wouldn’t let me out of the villa without first of all interrogating me, like I’m a child!” Her hands in the air with exasperation and her voice choky like she was about to cry. Grabbing Tiamat by the hand, she cries, “I feel like a prisoner in my father’s house, Tiamat.”

Understanding her plight, Tiamat doesn’t say a word. She loved her friend, but to her, Mylitta acted like a spoilt child, demanding to have her way at every moment. Perhaps her father’s discipline was good for her.

With a straight face, she replies, her voice calm, “You shouldn’t think so. I’m certain your father wants what’s best for you.” Mylitta was her friend, yes, she could be selfish sometimes, but if she needed a friend, she was going to be there for her.

“You don’t know what I suffer, Tiamat.” She moves away from her.
“Father treats me like a toddler.” She rolls her eyes and faces Tiamat. “I’m a grown woman. He needn’t treat me like I’m five.”

With a loud sigh, Tiamat walks towards her, taking her hand.

“I know, but, you shouldn’t hurt yourself for that reason. Soon enough, he’ll realise what a grown woman you have become.” She brushes her hand over her face.

This was why she loved Tiamat. Her friend was calm in places she was rash. There was something in the way she talked that soothed her all the time.

“Thank you,” she replied quietly as she holds her hand firmly.

                      AUTHORS NOTE
As I wrote these chapters, I trusted God to help me. This is my first book, and I want to get it right. Guess what? He did help me. He told me to bring my characters to life. So, I hope that as you read these chapters - 5, 6, and 7, my characters were alive to you.

...FOLLOW... COMMENT... VOTE...