CHAPTER 8

HADASSAH’S POV.
This is awkward. We haven’t spoken a word to each other since we started walking. I don’t even know what to say to him. He makes me nervous. I look at him and see that he’s as nervous as I am. Benjamin. Why did I feel so insecure suddenly? Oh no, my Uncle would be disappointed if he found out I was being insecure around a young man I didn’t really know. Gad had taught her to be herself anywhere she was and with whomever she was with. This Benjamin made Hadassah defy every of the training her Uncle has given her.

“Oh Yahweh, please help me.” She wasn’t this nervous wreck of a lady that walked beside Benjamin. She was Hadassah. She had self control. She couldn’t believe she was losing her composure for someone she just met. Perhaps I should say something to him.

“So….. did you enjoy Bible Study?”

                       ***************        

BENJAMIN’S POV.
Why I haven’t said a word to her, I’m not sure. The girl makes me nervous. I stole a quick glance at her. She looked so innocent, that she didn’t even know the emotions she was causing inside of me. Hadassah. The Lord knows that I love her. “Benjamin” his subconscious rebuked him. “Don’t go ahead of yourself.” But he already did. Hadassah was the perfect one for him.
Her question brought him out of his fantasy.

“Ye…yes, I did. I especially loved the words of Prophet Isaiah.” He was going ahead of himself again, wasn’t he? She only asked if he enjoyed Bible Study, not what he thought of it. “Oh Benjamin, get a hold of yourself.” He chides himself. With a nervous smile on his face, Benjamin did his best to act like her presence was doing nothing to him. He swung his hands carelessly as he walked.

“How about you, did you enjoy it?

“I did.” Her voice came out small. Clearing her throat, she added, "Bible Study is the best part of my day.”

“Really! Me too!” Benjamin’s excitement was evident in the way his eyes shone and his smile widened. Their conversation was going well now. They were almost at Hadassah’s house when she stopped abruptly on her tracks.

“I appreciate you walking me this far, but I’m close home,” she pointed with her hands at a distance just afar off. Benjamin got that as his cue to leave her alone. The lady was clear about what she wanted and he liked it. He wasn’t offended. If she wanted to walk the remaining distance alone, he would excuse her. Being this close to her means more to him than she could imagine.

“It was an honour walking with you, Hadassah.” He liked the sound of her name on his lips.

Giving him a small smile, Hadassah thanked him and walked away in the dark. She didn’t even notice that the sun had set. Benjamin followed her with his eyes as she went along the narrow path. Hadassah didn’t realise it yet but they both had a lot in common. He was determined to make her see their similarities. and not their differences.

It was just a matter of time.

                           ****************
Birds chirped and a gentle breeze blew in her ears. Hadassah hastened her steps. How late was she? Her Uncle will surely be home now. She hadn’t planned on returning late. Walking with Benjamin had slowed her pace.

Hadassah stepped into the small house. Her Uncle shouldn’t be home yet. He wasn’t on night duty but sometimes he was delayed.

“Why are you late?” Gad’s voice confirmed her fears.

“I didn’t mean to be late, Uncle.” Hadassah replied with a defeated look on her face. “I walked with a fri…end.” She stammered. “I’m sorry.” She whispered sorrowfully.

His eyes inspecting her face, Gad was furious.

“A friend?” He asked, his tone filled with sarcasm like he didn’t believe her. Hadassah never lied to him, but for some reason Gad didn’t like that a friend had made her return at such late hour. Who was this friend that he didn’t know of? “And who’s this friend?” His eyes questioned her making her bow her head in fear.

“I met him at Bible Study.”

“Hadassah,” he pulled her chin up, causing her eyes to look at him. “I cannot control your friends, but I will not tolerate coming home and having nothing to eat.” His voice warned her sternly. Hadassah couldn’t understand why he was angry.

Raising her eyes to meet his, she replied as calmly as she could, “I’m sorry, Uncle.” Hiding the tears that threatened to fall, Hadassah apologised for the second time since she entered the house. It was in moments like this that she missed her parents more. Gad was a great man, but he sometimes let his frustration on her.

Gad saw what he had done and he was ashamed. He couldn’t believe that for a moment he had made her afraid. Taking her in his arms, “Forgive me, Child,” he cried. Closing his eyes, Gad prayed quietly in his heart, “Lord have mercy on me.

                          ****************
The evening walk had done her some good. Mylitta was grateful for the gift of her friendship with Tiamat. Now they were on their way back to Mylitta’s villa, they walked along the walls of the commoners. A frown appeared on Mylitta’s beautiful face.

“What? Again.” Tiamat asked tiredly. Her friend had a habit of frowning often. It was hard to know what made her mood change so frequently.

The frown still on her face, Mylitta nags, “I don’t like this road.” She rolled her eyes, gazing suspiciously at the surrounding. Walls separated where her people lived from the Isrealites. Babylonians lived in the more affluent part of the city. “Why didn’t we follow the other side of the road?” She asked with haughty disdain.

“Because you by yourself said this way was faster.” Tiamat replied flatly. She wasn’t in a mood for Mylitta’s childish tantrums. “Why do you even hate them?”

“They irritate me! They consider themselves like some righteous god.” Her voice filled with loathe and scorn.

Tiamat was shocked at her friend’s accusation for a people she didn’t know. “Why would you say so? They haven’t done anything to you,” she said not sharing her friend’s opinion of the Commoners. They may not serve Baal, but she knew they didn’t consider themselves like ‘some righteous god’.

“Well, they don’t have to, Tiamat. Their presence alone grates me.” Mylitta couldn’t believe Tiamat sometimes. She didn’t act like a Babylonian in the least.

“You shouldn’t hate a people that have done nothing to you, Mylitta. That’s sheer evil.” Tiamat said with an air of finality. One that said their conversation was over. Mylitta could look at her like she was out of her senses, but she wasn’t going to join her in such beliefs.

Mylitta stared at Tiamat for what seemed like hours. All Babylonians hated the Jews, all except her friend and that surprised Mylitta. Tiamat didn’t act like a true Babylonian.

“I’m not surprised, Tiamat. You have always had a soft heart.”

“Say whatever. But I won’t hate a people that have done nothing to me.” With that she walked away leaving Mylitta behind. And as though as an afterthought, she adds without looking back, “You shouldn’t too.”

    ...FOLLOW... COMMENT... VOTE...