siete

im sorry if you find this book boring, i promise the plot is building
-

After returning from the infirmary and walking to the cabin quarters, I was drained and fell asleep but not for long. My hands that ached, woke me up while my body fought of the blankets that encompassed my form in the hot room.

It took all my energy just to get some water and take the tablets I was provided. I also had to check on the thick, white bandages wrapped around my hands. I didn't get any calls or visits from the assistants needing me to visit the king yet, so I guess I was pretty thankful for that.

I spent the next day just the same and the following day after that too. My chores were delivered to the other maids which was another amazing thing for me. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were served to me too. Many of the maids were unhappy at my special treatment.

But it was a Friday afternoon when an assistant came to visit me, Jooeun.

"Y/n," her voice clipped as she strutted into the cabin quarters. She was holding my uniform and a clipboard with a tired expression written on her face, "The King wishes to have a word with you."

To be honest, I wasn't expecting on seeing anyone today.

"Okay. Is that for me? The uniform?"

She scratched her nails through her thick blonde hair before responding to me, "Yes, you are required to where this." She set it down on the small bed and let out a heavy sigh, "I'll be back in 20 minutes, be ready by then."

I gave her a thumbs up and watched her walk out the room. I quickly scrambled out of bed into the shower, not forgetting to shave and take extra time containing my curly mess of hair. I hadn't seen the king in weeks, maybe even months, so I wondered what he looked like now and how he would approach me.

It also felt nice to get out and into new scenery. It was weird to say it but I missed the sort of friends I made as a maid. Being on bed rest didn't automatically mean it was fun or enjoyable. It was the opposite actually.

"Are you ready now?" Jooeun returned but this time in a different outfit. It was a tight black dress with her blonde hair in a braid resting on the center of her back. Her face was calm and lackluster.

I gave her a smile, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear, "Yes." She muttered at 'let's go' and pointed at the door, urging me to move along. I bowed and proceeded to walk forward and out the door. I could feel her stare on me as we inched closer to the castle. She hated me.

Apparently, Jooeun was there at the ball a few weeks ago and saw how the king treated me and was jealous...cause he didn't give her that treatment (or whatever you want to call what happened.)