23.

We walked around the park talking and laughing. Mostly my daughter and my mother I was keeping an eye out for a specific person.

She seems to love my daughter. She loves me but not that much. I don't see her trying to make my daughter her perfect granddaughter, only enjoying their time together.

I'm a bit jealous that my daughter is getting along better with my mother than I did with her.

My mother has a thing for being overdramatic and I only hope she isn't in this situation. She should act like she doesn't understand a thing and just leave this alone but knowing her she would only make a big deal out of it.

It's cold out and it's the day after Christmas so there aren't many people out. The park isn't that busy with parents and children like usual but that's not what we're here for.

"Hey, " I turned around to see Ethan holding a gift in his hands.

"Hi, " I replied my breath fogging in front of my face. I nodded my head to the box in his hands.

"I didn't want to come empty-handed but I hope she likes it, " he shrugged glancing towards his daughter.

We stayed silent standing there beside each other watching our daughter. It was only me who had watched our daughter like this at a park now he's here to watch her too.

Mother must have realized that we had company she took hold of Anne's hand leading her towards us. I took a deep breath and brace myself for what's about to explode, mostly my mother. I know she isn't going to take the news well.

"Ethan, I didn't know I was going to see you here of all places today, " she said looking from him to me then decided to lock her eyes on him only.

He didn't get a chance to greet back my mother when the three of us were surprised by the unexpected.

"Daddy!" She shouted excitedly letting go of her grandmother's hand running towards Ethan to wrap her hands around his legs.

My eyes were wide, mother's eyes were wide as saucer and Ethan mouth was hanging opened. He was the first to compose himself scooping her up into his arms. She hugged him around the neck whispering something to him in his ears.

I saw his eyes water either from what she told him or hearing her calling him daddy for the first time. I can't believe I had robbed him of this. You hold his daughter like this and hear her call him daddy.

A smile broke across his face when she leaned back and gave him the biggest smile I've ever seen her wore on her face. I felt jealous but what the hell she deserves it, he deserves it.

"What?" My mother asked her head moving from side to side looking at the three of us in shock. 

I sighed. I kinda forgot that she was here I was in the moment too. "I know you've been wondering from the beginning who her father was..." I looked at Ethan and my...our daughter smiling happily at each other. I looked back at my mother. "It's the truth he is the father of Chrissann, " I finished. I thought I would have felt shame admitting to my mother that my sister's former fiance is the father of my child but I didn't if anything I was feeling was happiness and pride.  I don't even feel guilty about it anymore.

"So..." She trailed off but I knew all the questions she was going to ask.

"Yes and yes, " I answered.

.
.
.

"Would you be staying?" My mother asked on the drive home.

"What?" I asked taking my eyes off of the round for a millisecond.

"Would you be going back or would you move back out here now that..." She trailed off looking back at her granddaughter sleeping she still couldn't believe that Ethan is her father. I smiled at her sleeping form, she had lots of fun with her father today.

I looked at my mother than back at the road. That's one question I really don't know the answer to as yet.

"I don't know, " I answered sighing. Everyone would think that now that Chrissann father is living here and his business is here that I'll be moving back so he could be close to his daughter.

Is that the case really? I mean I left my life here and went out and made another and I can't just up and leave it again. It wasn't easy then to leave and it isn't easy now nor is it easy to stay.

I don't know if I'll stay or go. I have a job and Chrissann has school and friends. I wouldn't want to take that away from her.

"What you mean you don't know? Your life is here, your family is here and her father is here. What's there not to know?" She asked dropping her hands to her legs dramatically.

"Was here mother, I have a family of my own now and for her father we have yet to decide and I know it isn't going to be hard to just take a plane and visit once in a while over the holidays, " I said.

The car went silent and I was grateful for that I didn't want to argue with her so the rest of the car ride home was silent.

I parked the car got out unbuckled her from her car seat then carry her sleeping form to the room that she is staying in.

It's wasn't easy going home after Christmas but we did. Ethan would call every night and talk on the phone with his daughter until she fell asleep, sometimes in the morning.

On valentine day he sent a big red teddy bear and a box of chocolates that she didn't want to share but when she wasn't looking I stole one or two.

"Mommy."

"Yes Anne, " I answered stirring the food in the pot. Anne was doing her homework at the kitchen counter.

"Will dad be coming to my birthday party?" She asked. I stopped doing what I was doing to look at my daughter.

"Did you call him and ask him?" I asked instead of answering. The two of them are always on the phone talking.

"Yes."

"Did you ask him if he's coming to your birthday party?"

"Yes."

"And what did he say?"

"He said yes, " she answered looking a little sad. I don't know why she is sad if her father is coming to her birthday party.

"Then why the frown honey, you don't want him to come?" I asked a little confused.

Her head snapped up to me like I've said the most outrageous thing. "Yes I want him to come it's just that I want him to stay, why can't he stay stay?" She asked looking up at me with tear filled eyes.

I sighed. I don't know how to answer that question nor do I want to. "Come here, " she came around the counter and I hugged her. I know they would say that she's too young to know the truth but I'm teaching her not to lie so why lie to her.

"Honey, the truth is me and your father, " she looked up at me. "We're not together anymore, " I told her and I could see all the questions in her eyes. I sighed. "It's complicated but I'll explain to you when you're older, " I said before the questions can leave her mind through her mouth.

"Okay, " she said sniffing.

"Now you understand why he can't stay, " she nodded.

A minute of silence passed before she speaks again. "Are you two ever getting back together?" She asked her eyes sparkling with unshed tears.

"I don't know, " I answered truthfully. We don't know what the future holds.