Chapter 18: Hospitals

The two captains stood by Takashi's bedside. The older brother was still teasing Taiji for spending the night with Kuroo.

"I saw the pictures from mom," Takashi waved his phone in her face, "You guys look so cute smooshed together!"

Taiji pushed her brother lightly, as she didn't want to hurt him, "I swear you watch too many movies."

"The Notebook was great!" Takashi protested, "I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU DON'T LIKE IT!"

"It's kinda cliche though."

"Your relationship is cliche." He mumbled.

Taiji found herself blushing, her brother wasn't wrong. Their relationship was cliche, like something from a movie, or a fanfiction. Takashi started another conversation with Kuroo, talking about something Taiji couldn't understand.

The three talked throughout the morning, being scolded by the nurse for being too loud. As the afternoon slowly crept up, Taiji"s grandmother brought Taro to visit. Poor Kuroo was tackled by the little boy as soon as he was noticed.

Taiji walked over to her grandmother and gave her a hug, "Thanks for taking care of Taro, Baa-san."

"It's nothing, sweetheart," Her grandmother smiled, "You've been working hard, and need a break from your little brother."

Taiji laughed a little and picked up Taro, "I hope you didn't cause any trouble!"

The two walked over to Takashi and stating talking about dumb topics. Takashi teased Taro, saying that he already accepted Kuroo as his future brother in law.

"So you're Kuroo? Taro likes you a lot." Grandma Taeko smiled at Kuroo, "He talked about you a lot."

Kuroo smiled at the three siblings who were roasting each other, "He's a really good kid."

"I'm really glad Taiji has you to take care of her," she continued, "She's been taking care of other people most of her life."

Kuroo tilted his head in confusion, ''What do you mean?"

Grandma Taeko motioned him to sit with her and started to explain.

"When Taiji was young, she had a very rough relationship with her father, the poor girl did everything to try and please him. She only started volleyball to make her father happy, but ended up continuing even after her father passed."

"What...?"

"Taiji had been the one who was taking care of her family ever since her father got sick. Her mother spent most of the time taking care of their sick father and working long hours, so Taiji was doing most of the housework.

Kuroo was shocked by multiple things. The first thing was that Taiji never told him any of this, and the second was that her father had passed.

Grandma Taiji raised her eyebrows, seeming a family trait, "She never told you huh? I'm not surprised."

Kuroo could feel his mixed emotions rising, and as if right on cue, Taiji walked over to them.

"We should get going, Kuroo." Taiji gently placed her hand against his shoulder and turned to Grandma Taeko, "I'll come by to drop off Taro's clothes later."

"Maybe you could stay for dinner?" She offered, "I'm sure we have room for one more."

The female captain smiled, "I'll take you up on that offer."

Kuroo was still figuring out his feelings, he wasn't sure if he was angry, or upset, or even worried. As soon as the two exited the hospital, Kuroo confronted Taiji.

"Why didn't you tell me about your dad?" Kuroo pulled Taiji's arm, stopping her from going ahead.

A small disgruntled noise escaped Taiji's lips as Kuroo jerked her backward, she sighed and turned to Kuroo, "My grandma told you?"

Anger was bubbling inside of Kuroo, how could she be so monotonous about this?

"Why didn't you tell me?" Kuroo raised his voice again, "What else are you hiding from me?"

"I don't have to tell you everything!" Taiji snapped back at him, "You don't need to know every fucking thing that's happened to me."

Heads turned at their argument, causing a scene was the last thing that the two captains wanted. After breaking apart for a second, the two decided to make their way to a more secluded place, like a park.

After settling down on a bench, Kuroo turned to Taiji again, but with a calmer tone this time, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Taiji let out a defeated sigh and slumped back against the bench, "I didn't wanna upset you with my dead dad."

The bedhead laced his finger with Taiji's, "You don't have to hide anything from me, you know that."

The female captain sighed and pulled her hand away from Kuroo, "I know..."

The two sat in uncomfortable silence, not knowing what else they could say without making the situation worse.

The sun was setting and time was running out. Kuroo didn't want to leave this problem for another day.

Clutching Taiji's shoulder, he pulled her into a hug, not saying a single word.

Taiji felt her eyes starting to sting, she tried to tear away, but Kuroo only held her tighter.

"I lost my mother when I was really young, " Kuroo quietly muttered, only loud enough for Taiji to hear, "And my relationship with my father isn't really that great."

Taiji kept silent, was she being selfish?

"I'm sorry, " She mumbled, "I was being really insensitive."

After clearing up the air, Taiji told Kuroo about her father, and how she used to play volleyball just to make him happy.

"When he passed, I thought about quitting," she admitted, "But I decided that I was going to play for myself, and not to please anyone."

Taiji's voice was laced with bittersweetness, and her face was grim. But she smiled and intertwined her fingers with Kuroo's just before getting up from the bench.

"It's getting late, we should probably go now." She smiled, "I'm sure your grandparents are probably worried about you."

Kuroo chuckled, "I highly doubt it."

As they made their way to the train station, Taiji talked about her life before moving to Tokyo. She told him about Iwaizumi and Oikawa, who she would be going to visit soon.

"I feel like you would be really good friends with Tooru." Taiji laughed, "You both are pretty chaotic."

"Screw you, " Kuroo flashed a sour face, "I think I'm very not chaotic!"

"You wish." She retorted, "My life has been wild since the moment I met you."

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"I swear to God, Tetsurou."

Kuroo froze for a second, his face tinted pink. Taiji had barely acknowledged what she said.

"Did you just call me Tetsurou..?"

Taiji's eyes widened as she realized what she said, "I won't call you that if you don't want me too."

Kuroo bit his lip, "No no, I'd like you to call me that."

The two captains' faces were painted red, as they continued to the train station.