Chapter 21: Kuroo's birthday

November 17th

Taiji spent the weeks before that date racking her brain, planning for his birthday. In the previous years, she had only given him greetings and cards, but she wanted to do something big this year.

Conveniently, The male's birthday happened to fall on a weekend, which gave Taiji the freedom to plan anything.

With gifts wrapped and the surprise party already planned, everyone was excited to surprise the bedhead.

Early on the day of his birthday, everyone was ready at the location of the surprise. Taiji was running around, making sure that everything was perfect.

As it got later in the day, everyone waited for the birthday boy, but he was nowhere to be seen.

"Taiji-san," Akaashi piped up, "Are you sure that Kuroo is coming?"

"Why? Did he say he was busy or unwell?" Panic could be heard in Taiji's voice, "Kenma would have called us if something happened right?"

The female captain's hands were clenched tightly and her voice was hoarse, "He wouldn't just bail on us right?"

"Tai-chan, your knuckles are turning white!" Yuko exasperated as she gently raised her clenched fist, "Nothing has happened yet, maybe he's just trying to fix his horrible bedhead?"

As if right on cue, Taiji's phone started to ring. Fumbling with it, Taiji tried to see who the caller was.

"Kuroo's grandmother?" Taiji mumbled, "Hello?"

"Taiji, dear?" A soft voice called out, "Something happened, you have to come over!"

"Ba-chan?" Taiji grabbed her bag without another question and started walking to the train station, "Is everything alright? "

"Not exactly," Grandma Kuroo sighed, "It's Tetsurou, he won't leave his room."

Taiji could feel her heart drop a little, "Is he sick? Did something happen to him?"

"I think he fought with his father, but I'm not sure." Muffles could be heard on the other end of the phone, "Please hurry."

The female captain clenched her fist again, "I'll be there in a little while."

Jumping into the train, Taiji quickly sent a text to Yuko, explaining the situation.

To: Vice!

Me
[11:33 a.m]: Something did happen to Kuroo, I'm going over to his house to see what I can do.
[11:33 a.m]: I'll text you if something changes.

Vice!
[11:33 a.m]: Go get'em tiger!

~~~

Arriving at Kuroo's house, Taiji could see Kuroo's grandparents standing by the door. Hearing her footsteps, Grandma Kuroo turned and took Taiji's hand in hers.

"Kenma's in there," She whispered, "Tetsurou hasn't uttered a single word at all."

Letting out a sigh, the female captain smiled, it was her turn to be there for Kuroo.

Stepping into the room, Taiji could hear Kenma trying to talk to him, "What's wrong, Kuro?"

Laying his hand on Kenma's shoulder, Taiji whispered something to him before he left, closing the door behind him.

Sitting on the edge of Kuroo's bed, Taiji smiled at the blank bedhead.

"You made me panic when you didn't show up, you know?" She laughed, "But I'm glad that you're fine."