Chapter 24: Nationals

"I can't believe we're here!" Akari yelled, "We're actually playing at the nationals!"

Yuko boinked her head, "The opening ceremony is going to start soon."

Taiji stood with Kuroo, looking for some of their friends.

"Karasuno got in right?" Taiji stood on her toes, "Do you see them?"

Taiji could hear a distant 'hey hey hey', indicating that Bokuto was nearby. The two captains went on to look for their friends.

Seeing Karasuno's team, Taiji and Sugawara immediately high-fived and hugged each other, going on to talk about all the headaches their teams have been causing. Daichi and Kuroo went to talk about their own things.

"Did you finally see the real sky tree?" Kuroo teased, "You country bumpkin crows?"

"You got a little taller!" Taiji gave Daichi a slight bump on the shoulder, "Don't mind that idiot, he's just nervous."

Going on to talk with some of the other boys from Karasuno, Taiji could hear people whispering all around her.

"Isn't that Taeko Taiji?"
"I heard she completely destroyed her opponents during the playoffs."
"She's such a whore, talking to all those boys."
"Isn't she dating the captain from Nekoma's boys' team?"
"Didn't her father pass away a few years ago?"

Sugawara put a hand on Taiji's shoulder, "People sure do like to talk about you, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," She barely grinned, "It's always like this."

"TAI-CHAN!" Taiji heard someone yell behind her, "HEY HEY HEY!"

The female captain turned, "Bo-chan!"

The two energetic captains waved at each other and Taiji gave them both pats on the head, "It's great to see you guys again!"

The whispers seemed to quiet down.

The two tall boys had to lean down a little for the female captain to reach their head, making Sugawara laugh.

"How tall are you even?" The cheeky grey-haired boy snickered, "You can't even reach my head."

"I grew a centimeter!" The short girl barked, "I'd whoop your ass but we're in public."

"Doesn't that only make you 169cm?" Akaashi stated plainly, which made the female captain jump.

Bokuto laughed, "THAT'S A NICE NUMBER!"

"Gross, Bo-chan." Taiji urged while she glared at Akaashi, the tall boy smirked in response.

An announcement blared through the speaker, "The ceremony is about to start, all teams must get ready."

Taiji pointed to the boys before returning to her team, "Good luck, I'll be watching you guys!"

"People are so mean to her," Bokuto sighed as they walked back to their team, "Did you hear what they were saying?"

"I did, Bokuto-san," Akaashi raised his eyebrow, "Is that why you suddenly called out to her?"

The owl-head smiled, "Nobody deserves to feel that kind of pressure."

~~~

Stepping into the court, Taiji could feel a burst wind flying by. The opposing team, Sentoku, was already there warming up.

"Oh look," Their captain spat as she noticed Taiji, "If it isn't the princess of the court."

Yuko glared at the girl, "Don't talk about our captain like that!"

"Or what?" She snarked, "Is she going to tell her dead dad?"