7 | new york city

" Sometimes you get to what you thought was the end and you find it's a whole new beginning

" Sometimes you get to what you thought was the end and you find it's a whole new beginning."

- Anne Taylor

✰✰✰

When they were dismissed, many of the women decided to head out to the PX Bar with some of the 82nd men, but Hazel, Catherine and Lizzie got news that they had to move out to New York City. Sweeney had stopped them before they had left where they had received their wings. He had clear instructions from Ridgway, who had been contacted by Colonel Sink. 

The men of the 506th were receiving their wings around Christmas, which was in about a week and a half. 

But, the women were ahead in training compared to them, so they were being moved out to England earlier than they were. More than 6 months, still without meeting the men they would be fighting a war with. Brilliant.

 hey were moving out by train tomorrow. They'd be on a cargo ship, with members of the Chateau Thierry, who was set to head to Ireland, but was making a stop in Plymouth England for cargo and for the 3 women, who would be picked up by American counter parts who were to be in England. 

So, the next day, the 3 women boarded a train to New York City after bidding the 17 other women good bye and wishing them luck in the future of their training with the men they would be with for the war. It was about 0900 when they finally got on the train after Captain Thermes had been the one to escort them to the train and put down his guard for a moment and wished the 3 luck. 

They found seats in the corner, and carefully slid in with their jump wings and uniforms and luggage. Catherine and Lizzie slid in across from Hazel and let out a sigh of relief as they finally sat down, with their Jump Wings pinned to their chest on their way to New York City.

" So, Christmas 1942? Spent on some ship to England?" Catherine said with a playing smirk on her lips.

" Not the weirdest place I've spent Christmas." Lizzie commented and the two girls looked at her.

" What?" Catherine asked her and Lizzie nodded.

" Christmas 1934, my dad decided to take my family ice fishing out on Lake Michigan, in these tiny huts called an ice shanty, on Christmas Eve. I spent my Christmas there, pulling fish out of freezing cold water." Lizzie said, " Life with a father from the military, and that's not the craziest he'd done." The girls chuckled a bit.

" Was the fish good at least?" Hazel asked softly. Lizzie smiled.

" Best fish I'd had in a while, even on that Christmas morning, my brother was training to become a chef by then, wanted to be the greatest. He knew how to cook up a fish." Lizzie said.

" You haven't talked much about your brothers, what are they like?" Hazel asked as she sat up and looked at Lizzie. Lizzie smiled.

" Brady's the oldest, he wanted to be a chef ever since he was a kid, but then the war broke out and he had to stop his internship he had and sign up for the Navy." Lizzie explained, " I felt bad for him. But he hopes to pursue it afterwards." Hazel smiled.