58 | the dinner conversation

" It's amazing how one little conversation can change everything

" It's amazing how one little conversation can change everything."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

They ate dinner at a restaurant where a large mass of other soldiers also were. It seemed designated for soldiers in that moment. Hazel and Joe had a spot inside, in the corner, where they could hear the Christmas music, being played over the speakers in French, and they could smell the wonderful food that had a wonderful scent that wafted throughout the entire building. Joe looked at Hazel from over the table as she looked out the window and out towards the stars. Tiny candles were lit on the table, with a clean white cloth underneath it and tiny little flecks of pine tree sprinkled amongst it, giving off a Christmas feel.

" I see Cassiopeia." Hazel said, leaning against the table, and glancing toward Joe with wide, blue eyes. Joe smirked from behind his hands which held up his head.

" You and your stars." Joe said as Hazel smirked at him before looking out at the sky filled with stars.

" How's your mom been?" Joe asked Hazel. Mail call had come yesterday and Hazel had supposedly written back plenty of times talking about her friends, including Joe himself, from what she had said.

" She's been doing pretty well. She said for Christmas that she's hoping to invite some friends over of ours, that have sons in the military and are overseas. I just feel bad, it's my 3rd Christmas from home." Hazel said, " And my mom's been through a lot, she's one of the strongest women I know. This pains her because she knows I could die any day out here." Joe watched Hazel bit back her lip and sigh softly.

" I'm sure she's proud though, knowing what her daughter is doing." Joe said, and then Hazel watched a tiny smile quirk on his face again, " I mean you were apart of the WAC, and then you became part of Virago Company and now you're a paratrooper in Easy. If anything that's badass." Hazel grinned.

" What's she like?" Joe asked her.

" Well, ok," Hazel said, sitting up straighter and holding her hands out in front of her, " imagine me, ok? And close your eyes."

" I could've just kept them open because you're right in front of me-"

" Joseph."

" Right, carry on." Joe shut his eyes.

" So, me, but older, with some wrinkles around the eyes. Around the corners of the mouth, from smiling mostly. And her hair's blonde, sort of a dirty-blonde, more golden color, and bright blue eyes, that hold so much joy in them, you would never suspect they had gone through as much pain as they did, and a jolly laugh, kinda like Santa Claus, it can get a full room laughing. A slight accent, mainly from Polish speaking, but such a beautiful smile, and a powerful stature, a commanding one, one you don't want to mess with. And she's tough too, complete opposite of me. I've never seen her get really emotional, even when I left home." Hazel said, " Bravest woman I know." Joe smiled, eyes still closed.