22 | talks of d-day

" Growing up is about teaching yourself, not blaming yourself

" Growing up is about teaching yourself, not blaming yourself."

- poets

✰✰✰

Hazel and Joe together were a pair of childish kids basically. 

The guys had to admit, it was nice seeing the hot-headed Joe Liebgott smile a bit more, laugh a bit more, fight a bit less with the young bundle of innocence around. She was a good balance for him, and a great friend as well. The two played footsie where ever they walked, or kicked stones as they moved from tent to tent, or Joe would flick her head and she'd punch his bicep and then they'd start shoving each other. Bill had to physically pull them apart before they burst into fits of laughs. It let Hazel's mind breath for a bit, without a worry of thinking about the war, just being able to be with her friends. 

But in the afternoon, the mood simmered to a quiet, tense halt as they entered the huge hangar where the mass of Easy Company would be receiving instructions for their 'quickly-approaching' operation.

" Saint Marie Du Mont." Meehan said as he walked along the strip of platform laid before the group of Easy Company paratroopers, his loud voice, echoing within the hanger, louder than the rainstorm that thundered outside against the ground and roof.

" Causeway number 1, Causeway number 2. The ultimate field problem. The Estuary of the Douve River divides two beachheads-code-named Utah, here," Meehan pointed to a higher up portion of the map, " and Omaha, here." he stated pointing to the lower section.

" Seaborne infantry will hit these beaches in force at a date and time to be specified." Meehan stated. Hazel softly nibbled on her lip as she usually did. It distracted her, let her get her mind off things. Her soft, doe eyes concentrated on the map behind Meehan, sitting on the edge of the bench, with her hair let down in gentle curls. She had a headache after lunch and figured it was from the ponytail. Joe was beside her smoking, his cap a little crooked, a cigarette on his ear. Hazel was a little anxious, but it seemed everyone else was as they smoked chimneys around her.

" H-hour, D-Day." Meehan stated.

" Airborne's objective, ladies and gentlemen," Meehan said and turned to the latter who nodded with a smirk, " is to take the town of Carentan, thus linking Utah and Omaha into a single continuous beachhead. Each trooper will learn this operation by heart and know his or her and every other outfits' mission to the detail."

" Lieutenant Meehan." a voice called and Dukeman stood with a raised hand.

" Yes, Dukeman." Meehan said stepping up to the large board of the map of the operation.

" Sir, are we dropping tonight?" Dukeman asked and Hazel watched Catherine glanced at Dukeman with a grumble from her spot up on the stage beside Nixon. They had nothing prepared yet, why would they drop tonight?