59 | heart to heart

" Anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you

" Anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you."

- Misty Copeland

✰✰✰

When Hazel and Joe got back to Mourmelon-le-Grand, everyone was starting to arrive back from their trips to Paris or Reims or other French-famous towns with stories, gifts, and memories to last a lifetime. 

Supposedly the group of Lizze, Tab, Shifty and Smokey, had gotten drunk in Paris and were nearly tripping over each other as they got into the hotel room. The retelling had to be the funniest story of the night and watching Lizzie looking so happy and so joyful brought a smile to many people's faces. She had been at her low in the hospital and even though Gene was the only one to know about her diagnoses, she didn't let on anymore about it. it was for the best. So being with the guys for a bit, brought some joy back and forgetting the war for a night was exactly what she had needed. 

The days she felt started to blend together with Christmas being so different this year. They were in a completely different country, on an Army base, fighting a war that they didn't start. The days grew shorter and colder and Hazel found herself sleeping more and more, which she was happy about because she gratefully was taking Gene's advice, but she grew so exhausted from too much sleeping. 

Hazel and Shifty grabbed their weapons and began heading towards the tent where they could clean their weapons. Virtually no one else was there, so they were able to move into a spot and start washing their weapons together, chatting quietly. Hazel grew concentrated on cleaning her weapon. 

Since they predicted no action until mid-March, Hazel wanted to make sure that since her weapon wasn't going to be used, she didn't want it getting rusty and peeling. But Shifty was the same way with his own weapon, so that's why they worked well together. Tab eventually wandered in about 15 minutes later, and looking exhausted; everyone continually looked exhausted around camp today.

" You okay, Tab?" Hazel asked him, as he huffed sitting down next to her, pulling his weapon into his lap.

" Just peachy." he answered.

" You looked exhausted." Hazel said worriedly.

" I guess that's just my normal face." Tab answered exhaustedly.

" And sound more sarcastic than normal." Shifty said and Hazel giggled, as Tab let out a huff. He then placed his head on Hazel's shoulder and shut his eyes.

" If I can get two minutes of damn sleep, I'll be happier, promise." he said. Hazel looked down at him, almost asleep and raised a brow slightly confused, but Shifty just shrugged and went back to cleaning his weapon. Like that, Tab was out like a light, slightly snoring. Hazel looked down at Tab with sympathy, as his exhausted state continued on resting.