73 | christmas

" The most beautiful things in life are not things

" The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people and places and memories and pictures. They're feelings and moments and smiles and laughter."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

Christmas Day, 1944. 

Hazel had woken up, just like any other day, still freezing, still missing home, but feeling better at the moment. The sky was dreary, as per usual, and the forest was dark and cold, even during the middle of the day when it should be the brightest.

The late night barrage had caused a casualty, Harry Welsh, but supposedly he'd be ok. 

Tab had come running by their foxhole last night and told them. After Hazel had stared up and out of the tarp and towards the sky for a bit, she dragged herself out of the foxhole, leaving Shifty so sleeping, the boy never got enough rest anyway. 

So Hazel headed to the breakfast line, she figured that maybe some of the men and women would be there, and maybe, quite possible Christmas 1944 would not suck as much as she thought it would. Hazel glanced at her watch and saw it read 0800, people most definitely would be there. When she came upon the breakfast line she was right. 

She saw Catherine, smiling and joking with Bill and Babe. 

Lizzie was even there, sitting on a log next to Bull. Hazel walked towards the group a smile on her face. Tab who standing nearby talking to a few replacements when he noticed the girl trudging through the snow, her nose bright red amongst the wilderness.

" Tiny!" he called, pushing up off the tree he was leaned up against. Hazel looked up with a smile.

" Hey, Tab." she said, as she approached and the man came forward, wrapping an arm over her shoulder.

" Merry Christmas, was wondering when you'd be up." he said as he looked down towards her.

" Merry Christmas to you too Tab," she said with a bright smile.

" I would kill for a warm bowl of my ma's chicken noodle soup." Tab said.

" Or a turkey dinner, my mom always cooked those, especially with mashed potatoes." Hazel said.

" You and your mashed potatoes." Tab said with a snicker.

" You know they're good," Hazel said with a smile up at him.

" You staying warm?" Tab asked her, " Especially with Shifty, you two are tiny." Hazel grinned with a giggle.

" We're doing fine, and we're managing a bit of warmth if you can imagine." she said a laugh leaving her mouth which made Tab grin. A laugh could make anyone's day, especially on Christmas Day. The morning was slow, as Merry Christmas rung around the tiny area in the Bois Jacque, and it was just a bit happier than normal that morning. Catherine was heading towards CP. She arrived and saw Winters and Nixon talking together.