10 | looming war

" Never lose hope! Tomorrow could be the day you've been waiting for

" Never lose hope! Tomorrow could be the day you've been waiting for."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

" Hazel!" a voice said and Hazel looked up to see Lizzie there with a wide grin on her face. That positive grin fell from her face once she saw Hazel's features.

" Aw Hazel." whispered Lizzie as Lizzie slowly dropped to all fours next to Hazel and wrapped the woman in a warm side hug. In the hug, Hazel felt so secure and safe and it was what let the quiet cry past her lips. Lizzie held Hazel closer to her, rocking the innocent girl softly back and forth, brushing through her hair, rubbing her shoulder, holding her securely. 

The pain that was in Hazel's cries hurt Lizzie. 

Lizzie was generally a pretty positive person, and she cracked a few jokes here and there, but hearing her friend, a woman she thought of as her sister, crying, pained Lizzie's youthful heart.

" It's ok, Hazel, it'll all be ok." Lizzie whispered softly, as Hazel let another cry past her lips. Lizzie had never seen Hazel cry before. Hazel just on the outside, didn't seem like the type of person to break down and start crying over the tiniest thing; Lizzie was more apt to do that. Hazel just seemed so innocent and genuine, that it really didn't seem like her to crying in front of someone, it didn't seem like her. Hazel had never broken down in front of someone before and she barely did in front of her mother, even though she trusted her mother with her life.

" Hey there you two are." a voice said and Lizzie was the only one who looked up to meet Catherine's eyes. Catherine's eyes softened. Catherine slowly crouched down in front of Hazel, and reached forward to brush softly against the girl's head.

" I'm sorry," Hazel whispered, as her voice broke, shaking her head, " I'm sorry."

" Hey, hey Hazel look at me, don't ever say sorry to either of us ok?" Catherine said gently, as Lizzie squeezed her tightly. Hazel nodded, as Catherine gently wiped the tear from Hazel's face. Hazel's mind was in shambles, too many thoughts running through her brain, or too many different irrational fears spiraling out of control, something she had always struggled with. Eventually, as the women sat there, in a soft quiet of the night, as the stars finally made their grand appearance.

" You wanna head inside?" Catherine asked Hazel softly, as Hazel's eyes remained distant and filled with what looked like fear. Catherine slowly stood, but Hazel reached out to stop her, her face unchanging in expression. Catherine looked at Hazel's tiny hand on her arm and then glanced at Hazel.

" Hazel-"

" There's something you both deserve to know." Hazel whispered, slowly pulling her hand back from Catherine's arm and tucking it against her body again comfortably. Catherine and Lizzie glanced at each other before looking at Hazel.