45 | nuenen

" There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it

" There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."

- Edith Wharton

✰✰✰

When Hazel sat up the following morning, she blinked her eyes awake and found that she was staring at a blue sky, a soft blue, and there were the biggest fluffiest clouds overhead, and there was a slight, warm breeze that seemed to brush across the open soldiers in the field where a few large trees were. Hazel slowly sat up from the ground and looked around through squinted eyes as she saw some of the NCOs moving around, trying to get some people up and awake. 

Hazel glanced over and noticed Joe still asleep at her side, soft snores coming from his mouth. His back was to her, and his snores were loud.

" Joe." she said. He barely even shifted at the sound of his name.

" Hey, Joe." Hazel said. Hazel watched as he didn't move, instead letting out another snore. Hazel gently shook his shoulder.

" Joe, wake up." Hazel said, shaking his shoulder again.

" What?" his gruff voice asked, sounding exhausted and wanting nothing more than to fall asleep again.

" I think we're moving again." Hazel said softly and she watched as Joe shifted on his side a bit and then slowly sat up, groaning, rubbing his head, running a hand through his hair and then yawning.

" Hey sleepy heads." a voice said and Joe and Hazel looked up to see Catherine crouching down in front of them, her helmet strap swinging a bit in the breeze, a smirk on her features, and a wild look in her eyes. She was ready for war it looked like.

" What time is it?" Hazel asked her. Catherine glanced at her watch.

" About 0800, they want us moving though, they just briefed the Lieutenants not too long ago." Catherine said, eyeing Joe yawning again and lying down again rubbing his eyes.

" How long have you been awake?" muttered Joe.

" Longer than you clearly." Catherine said, glancing around and then smiling at Hazel, " I'd heat up a K-ration real quick because it looks like we'll be on the move within the hour, we're heading towards Arnhem."

" Where the fuck is that?" groaned Joe.

" Are you always this grumpy?" Catherine asked him and Joe shot her a glare.

" No." he groaned. Catherine smirked.

" Seems the only person you never are grumpy around is Hazel." Catherine said with a playful smirk watching as Hazel blushed furiously and Joe glared. Hazel looked to Catherine again.

" You doing ok?" Hazel asked Catherine with a small smile.

" Yeah," Catherine said glancing around the sky, " just thinking about what sorta opposition we might run into."