56 | such is life

" Life is so ironic

" Life is so ironic. It takes sadness to know what happiness is, noise to appreciate silence and absence to value presence."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

When mail arrived, morale rose a bit. 

Lizzie heard from her brothers, and her heart felt whole. Brady was in Europe, he couldn't say where exactly, but he was enjoying a 48 hour pass at some place he and his friends had managed and was writing this letter. Michael had been in Italy for a while, the fighting continuing to be brutal and relentless, but he had a break from it all for a moment or two and was relishing it all. 

Catherine also got word from her brothers in the Pacific, they were both healthy and alive. Relief filled everyone's hearts when they found out that the 2 girls' siblings were in fact safe. Lizzie though learned her grandmother after all this time was not recovering she were supposed to. But Lizzie threw a smile on her face, like all the other times sadness inflicted her life, and kept walking around with Gene, and talking and laughing and keeping up her duties, as well as making injured soldiers smile a bit. 

However, on Halloween, Lizzie didn't smile as her and Gene went sprinting from the aid station, with calls for a medic. neither of them had their helmets on or their medic satchels, they had virtually nothing of use for the injured man who they would be helping and it was dark as they raced through the slightly chilly night. The two medics approached the car and the hospital car quickly just as Winters was yelling for a stretcher.

" I got him, Harry." Gene called as the two approached, " You give him morphine?"

" Yeah," Harry answered as he jumped down and Lizzie strained her eyes to look at Moose who Gene was quickly inspecting.

" How much?" Lizzie asked quickly looking at Welsh.

" Oh, I can't remember, two, three syrettes maybe." Harry answered, and Lizzie's heart dropped into a pit into her chest, as Lizzie jumped up into the hospital cart, her hair flipping over her shoulder as she watched the three soldiers in front of her attempt to move the unconscious Moose.

" Three syrettes maybe?" Gene asked, anger and frustration in his voice as Lizzie looked towards Harry and WInters.

" Yeah." came the answer.

" Jesus Christ, were you trying to kill him?" Gene snapped out.

" I think it was two," Harry said trying to cool Gene's fire and Lizzie moved to the ledge.

" That much morphine and he could've died!" Lizzie called, as Gene looked to her, and Winters shook his head, as the moved Moose onto a stretcher.

" You don't think it might be important to let me know how much medication the man has had, huh?" Gene asked as the stretcher was lifted up into the air and toward the truck for Lizzie's awaiting hands, " 'Cause I do not see one syrette on the man's jacket." Gene's voice was raising, as Lizze fed in the stretcher with Moose, before moving near Moose's head near the back, her head pounding from the chaos.