30 | safety

" Sometimes we fall down because there is something down there we're supposed to find

" Sometimes we fall down because there is something down there we're supposed to find."

- Unknown 

✰✰✰

Sainte-Marie-Du-Mont was taken by nightfall, and they were given an hour to scrounge for food, for medical to get what wounded men they could ready to evacuate and for maybe 30 minutes of sleep. 

Hazel took the offer of sleep in stride, finding a nice little curbside step to nestle down on and rest herself. There was a cool breeze that blew gently as she lied there, and the quiet chatter was peaceful. Looking back on D-Day, she was proud of her motives she had taken. The whole walk to Sainte-Maire-Du-Mont put things in perspective. She had to kill that German or else the Germans would have more intel than they'd want and on a female sniper. He had seen her gun, looked right up the barrel of it into her face. 

The death was necessary. 

Sure, when it had happened, when it all went down, her emotions had gotten the better of her. But sitting here now, death was something inevitable in war. Talking with Joe Liebgott had helped her feel infinitely better; he just seemed to understand her and work out the little bits of fear of war that she had. 

Once she was brought into the Battle of Brecourt Manor though, she was zeroed in and focused and tuned into everything. Hazel accepted the fact that people would die, there would be pain and fears and failures, but it was war, a vast difference from a world without war. 

But they had to learn to accept that. 

She stared up at the looming stars, as her rifle laid beside her, propped up on the building she was next to. It was peaceful, for the moment and Hazel relished it. Catherine and Lizzie were still no-shows, but Hazel trusted both of those strong women. They'd find their way, if they were alone or with someone else. They always found a way through anything. She thought of the Edelweiss on the German's jacket. 

The mark of a true soldier. 

She knew she'd remember that moment for the rest of her life, but she knew now, not to dwell. 

Suddenly, there were loud calls for a medic. the voice was calling it out frantically, and there was evident whimpers that followed. Hazel shot up from her spot, head flipping to look over her shoulder, as she pushed hair from her face.

" What's going on?" she muttered to herself, pushing up from the ground to hurry towards the center of the town where the commotion was. Her heart plummeted at the sight.

" Catherine!" Hazel called, rushing forward, to push towards her through the crowd. She was wrapped around Gene, her face pale and in pain, with dried blood on both their hands. What had happened? Hazel raced up to the two, as Gene secured his arm over her and looked to Hazel who stopped in front of them.