48 | hope

" The birds of hope are everywhere, listen to them sing

" The birds of hope are everywhere, listen to them sing."

- Terri Guillemets

✰✰✰

" Hazel?" the voice called, as Hazel cracked a slightly bleary eye upward.

" Hazel!" the voice called again in a whisper. She opened her eyes fully and slowly sat up with a rather pissed off expression.

" Who is it?" she asked quietly, as she reached up to rub her eyes.

" Who do you think?" the voice whispered and she realized it was Tab. She grumbled to herself and slowly stood up, throwing the blanket over the other sleeping girl and stood up pulling herself out of the foxhole, up into the chilly night air. She looked towards Tab in the dark, with large bags under her eyes.

" What?" she asked.

" Winters wants you out on the road, with your sniper, scope out if you see Bull and Lizzie showing up or something." Tab explained.

" What time is it?" Hazel mumbled as she yawned again, glancing up towards the moon and the stars as another blast of night air hit her.

" About 2330," Tab said glancing at his watch. She sighed to herself before standing and pulling her helmet on her head and shouldering her rifle.

" Your arm ok? Heard you took some shrapnel to it." he said in the moonlight as he glanced at the two women sound asleep.

" It'll be fine, that's what Gene said." she said with a tired smile up at him.

" That's good," Tab said, " I'll take you up there."

" Ok," Hazel said as she gave one more glance towards the two girls before following after Tab.

" What do they want me to do again?" she asked yawning, and Tab smirked as he took off his helmet and ran a hand through his hair before situating his helmet on his head again.

" Looking out for Bull and Lizzie, possibly Germans, stuff like that." Tab said.

" Boy do I love being a sniper." Hazel said with a laugh, before stifling another yawn.

" Ah you know you love it." Tab said wrapping an arm over her shoulder as she chuckled.
" Yeah, yeah I do." she said. Tab led her to a position, above the dike, where she concealed with some bushes, facing the town of Nuenen.

" Someone will be here to trade off with you at about 0400, but Winters wanted you to start out for the midnight shift since he trusts you a lot with the sniper and all, plus you have a scope." Tab explained, as he glanced at his watch.

" Well," Hazel said as she adjusted herself down onto the gravel ground against the bushes, and set up her scope, " looks like I better get comfy." Tab smirked at her.