47 | the dawn of night

" But without the dark, we'd never see the stars

" But without the dark, we'd never see the stars." 

- Unknown

✰✰✰

News spread quickly of how Bull and Lizzie were, in fact, missing, and how they were the only two missing. The company had retreated and been brought to a resting area not far at all from Nuenen to bed down in for the night. 

They were to dig foxholes, eat their K-rations, clean their weapons and prepare for tomorrow, and pray to God that somehow Bull and Lizzie showed up tonight or in the morning. Hazel, with Gene's help, had shakily jumped down from the truck to move over to where an aid station had been set up for the time being. She slowly sat down in a chair, as the sniper rifle clattered to the ground. She was in pain, as the fresh wound remained open to the cool night air. She'd be fine, a simple bandage could stop the bleeding, but it just burned a bit.

" Is it bad?" she managed to say through a grimace. Gene gently touched around where the wound was with his delicate fingers and gently pressed. She gritted her teeth in pain.

" It'll heal up nice and good." Gene said, as he pulled a chair up in front of her to situate himself. He grabbed a wet cloth and gently wiped at the wound, until the dried blood around it came clean. Hazel visibly grimaced at the sight of it. Gene quirked a smile up at her before pulled out a tube of cream to help the wound repair itself. He gently dabbed it on, before pulling out a bandage and slowly beginning to wrap up her arm. He then gently secured it, before helping the girl pull her sleeve down to cover it up. 

" There ya go." he said, as he stood and pushed the stool back in place.

" Thank you," Hazel said as she stood, and reached down to pick up her sniper rifle.

" Any word on Lizzie or Bull?" Hazel asked him. Gene looked at her and sighed softly.

" They're missing, both of 'em." Gene said and Hazel's heart sank. She couldn't imagine what Catherine was going through right now, she worried about everyone.

" I'll see ya Gene, we'll find them." Hazel said, squeezing his shoulder and Gene nodded softly. Hazel approached over the dike before moving down into the field. Her eyes looked around for a familiar face. She found Malarkey, Penkala and Skip all around their foxhole chattering and sharing bits of food when she arrived.

" Hey," Hazel said, " you guys seen Catherine?"

" Mack? Just saw her, she was doing rounds with Bill." Skip told her.

" Thanks." Hazel said.

" Lizzie and Bull still missing?" Malarkey called out to her. Hazel bit her lip and nodded. 
" Yeah."

" Damn." Malarkey muttered, as Skip sighed and Penkala only leaned back to shut his eyes.

" What about you?" Malarkey asked, " Heard you got a chunk."