64 | crazy boys

" We are all broken that's how the light gets in

" We are all broken that's how the light gets in."

- Ernest Hemingway

✰✰✰

 Hazel had been in her foxhole alone when the first shelling of the day occurred, raining down on them as if God was throwing them down himself. Hazel had dove for the covered side of the foxhole, pressing herself against the Earthy wall, forcing her eyes shut closed, as she wrapped her arms around her head, praying for the world to stop shaking underneath and all around her. It was like a billion fireworks going off at once, upending the Earth and shaking it all at once. Hazel's ears rung with each explosion and each quiver made her stomach lurch. She just wanted the world to stop shaking, she wanted it all to stop. And then it did, just like that it was over, as she began to hear voices again.

" Stay in your foxholes." she heard Lip's voice say somewhere in the distance. Hazel slowly uncurled herself from against the wall and moved towards the opening of the foxhole, throwing a few bits of shrapnel from the opening to the outside. She weakly looked around, softly gulping as she took in the sight all around her. People slowly climbing out of their foxholes, looking around, making sure people in their foxholes nearby were ok.

" Hazel!" she heard a voice cry and she looked up to see Shifty coming towards her in a frenzied panic.

" Shifty! You scared me, when I didn't see you." Hazel said as Shifty slid down into the foxhole and didn't hesitate to wrap her in a warm hug. The minute he hugged her, Hazel felt like crying. A hug meant so much in a cold wasteland such as this and couldn't brighten anyone's mood. Hazel wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged Shifty closer, she had never appreciated her friend as much as she did now.

" I feared the worst," Shifty said as he pulled back and looked at her, " a replacement back there, got his whole arm blown off, Lizzie and Gene are there now. Neither look too good though." Hazel bit her lip worriedly.

" Who was it?" Hazel asked him.

" Robert Lennings." Shifty said, and Hazel sighed softly; she couldn't imagine.

" Lizzie's getting sick." Hazel said softly, as Shifty's eyes softened slightly.

" Really?" he asked weakly and Hazel nodded. 

" And they can't do much for her, but now she's pushing herself even harder." Hazel said, " I'm worried."

" You're not the only one." Shifty said, " Bumped into her this morning, she barely even made eye contact." Hazel's heart skipped a beat, that was unlike Lizzie. She always smiled and cracked a joke and then would make sure you were alright.

" I'll try talking to her again, later." Hazel said, rubbing a cold hand on her cold forehead with a sigh. So, Hazel went later to the medic foxhole, where she knew either Gene or Lizzie would most likely be. Hazel slowly approached it and crouched by the side, seeing Gene and Lizzie both inside, exchanging supplies.