seven

"okay, so, um, we didn't see anything. we don't know anything," pope paced back and forth across john b's porch. "we need to have total and complete amnesia," he stated pointing at his friends.

the five teens had just returned from the marina where they'd discovered that the owner of the boat was the now dead scooter grubbs. hannah shuddered thinking of the image on the girl's phone. who the fuck takes pictures of dead bodies? take nudes like a normal person, jeez.

"actually," jj said as he stood up, "pope's right for once." jj turned to smirk at pope, "see, i agree with you sometimes." jj raised his juul to his lips, "deny, deny, deny."

kie frowned at the boy. "guys, we can't keep the money."

"well, we can," hannah began before jj cut her off.

"not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, kiara."

"we have to pass that off to lana grubbs or else it's bad karma."

"it's bad karma for me to not be able to afford new pods," hannah retorted, taking a hit off jj's juul.

"it's bad karma to be implicated in a felony too," pope stated. "we gotta go dark."

"we can live underground like prarie dogs!" hannah said, causing the crew to shoot her a look.

jj pushed himself off the wall. "if that means we get to keep the money, then i agree."

"i don't," john b finally spoke.

"what?" jj asked incredulously since john b was usually the one who agreed with his stupid ideas.

"why?" hannah questioned. she figured that if anyone would want the money, it would be him, especially considering the shitty situation he was in with child services.

"just think about it," john b said, "this is scooter grubbs we're talking about. same guy that's buying individual cigarettes at the porthole. shit, one time i saw him begging for change in the save-a-lot parking lot because he needed gas."

hannah shrugged. "i've done that," causing all her friends to shoot her concerned looks.

john b sighed. "look, we're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than forty bucks in his pocket and all of a sudden he's got a grady-white? just saying."

"maybe he's a sugar baby," hannah offered, getting up to follow her friends who had begun making their way to the dock.

john b shook his head. "think about it. how does a marina rat get a grady-white?"

"prostitution?" pope suggested.

"square groupers, bro," john b stated, "okay, flying under the radar, no aerial surveillance, they don't do that during a hurricane. so, what does that mean? jj?"

"they were straight smuggling."

"smuggling," john b reaffirms. "and i guarantee there's a serious amount of contraband in that wreck." he finished, gauging our reactions.

"don't look at me," hannah raised her hands in defense, "i'm always down for your stupid schemes, jb."

"hell yeah," jj said from where he was fishing. "woah! fish on!"

...

"for the record, if that is a smuggling ship with illegal contraband inside of it," pope began, "it probably belongs to someone else."

hannah shifted from her spot on jj's lap to face pope. "pope, bud, i really could not care less," she said feigning a sympathetic look.

"minor details," kie agreed with her brunette friend.

pope rolled his eyes at the pair. "they could be looking for it. taking it would be catastrophically stupid."

"you're catastrophically stupid," hannah muttered to herself.

"right, well, stupid things have great outcomes all the time!" jj tried to make his point.

"yeah," hannah agreed, "like me!"

"especially you," jj leaned down to whisper in her ear making the girl laugh and shove his head away with her hand. jj grinned before turning back to the group. "all we need to do is figure a way to get into the cargo hold of that wreck and, until then, we just lay low and act normal."

pope raised a brow. "and how do you suppose we do that?"

hannah perked up, "kegger, anyone?"

i'll be posting another part later, also, for anyone who actually reads this, do you ship kie and john b or john b and sarah more?