twenty-eight

hannah was impatiently pacing back and forth in the hospital sitting room, anxiously waiting for any news on john b's condition.

"this is all my fault," hannah cried. "i shouldn't have let him go without us."

"hey, hey, hey," jj soothed, "it's not your fault. it's not anyone's fault except topper's, okay? and john b? he's tough. he's gonna be okay." jj wrapped his arms around the crying girl, gently rubbing her back to calm her down. in all honesty, his insides were a wreck. john b was like his brother, he'd shown him more of a family than his father ever had, and he didn't know what he'd do if he lost him.

hannah sniffled, pulling away to look at the blonde. both their eyes were bloodshot and dried tears stained their cheeks, but neither of them could find it in them to care. "thanks, jay, you always know what to say. how you holding up?" hannah knew jj was putting on an act; he might have everyone else fooled, but she knew how deeply affected he got when one of his friends was in pain.

jj sighed, plopping himself down in one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs. "i feel like i let him down. he could've died, and the guy who did this to him is still out there acting like nothing's wrong. i'm fed up."

"me too," hannah sat beside him, "topper went too far this time. he needs to pay, but, right now, we need to focus on the gold." she gently tilted jj's chin so he was looking at her. "we're back in the g-game, baby."

...

"he's fine, a mild concussion and broken wrist, but fine. he was lucky. we still need to keep him overnight to make sure everything's alright, so you two should head home," the doctor gestured to jj and the brunette's sleeping form beside him.

jj nodded. "thanks, doc," he said, picking up hannah in his arms and walking out of the building. jj made sure he didn't jostle her too much, as to not wake her when he strapped her into the passenger seat of the bus and sped off towards the chateau.

"jay?" hannah rasped, waking up in jj's arms.

"hey, babydoll," jj whispered, "we're at the chateau. john b's alright, they just needed to keep him for tonight."

hannah nodded as jj laid her out on the pullout bed and quickly jumped in with her. a small smile graced her lips when she felt him pull her into his chest, snuggling deeper into his embrace. "i love you."

jj grinned into her hair. "i love you too, babydoll."

...

"i'm sorry, you're staying where?" kie question in disbelief.

"tannyhill."

kie scoffed. "so you're living with sarah cameron."

"look," john b groaned, "the only reason i'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, alright?"

"so he, like, adopted you, kinda?" hannah asked.

"yeah, i guess."

"so what you're telling us is," hannah smirked, "you're macking your sister?"

jj spit out his beer as laughter erupted from his chest.

"no!" john b yelled. "you know it's not like that. what i'm saying is that it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where i was about to go if ward didn't-"

pope cut him off. "hey, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?"

hannah perked up at that. "oh shit, he's right. i didn't even think about that."