twelve

"hey, guys," hannah said, causing jj and john b to turn to her. "i think i'm gonna go home." kie and pope had already left a few hours ago, leaving the original trio at john b's house to go over the events of today.

john b and jj exchanged a concerned look before facing the girl. "you sure, babydoll?" jj asked. he and her both knew what her father would do to her if he saw her.

"yeah, han," john b agreed. "you know you're more than welcome to stay here."

hannah shook her head. "nah, i haven't been home in like three weeks and i'm kinda running out of clothes," she said, gesturing to jj's shirt she was wearing.

"okay, well, do you want me to walk you there?" jj asked.

"or we can take the bus," john b added.

hannah smiled. "don't worry, guys, i'm a big girl. i can walk home by myself." she gave them a short wave before making her way through the screen door and in the direction of her house.

jj watched as hannah's figure disappeared into the night, continuing to stare even after she was long gone.

"you're so whipped, man," john b smirked at the blonde.

jj rolled his eyes and threw his juul at his friend. "fuck off. i'm just looking out for her. you know how her dad gets."

john b nodded, taking a sip of his beer. "yeah, i know, but i'm not talking about that." jj looked confused causing john b to sigh. "jj, you look at her like she's the sun, moon, and stars. fuck, you look at her like she's absolutely everything to you, man. it's so obvious that you completely adore her, so why aren't you making a move on that?"

jj was thankful it was dark, so john b couldn't see how red his face and neck were. "what about 'no-pogue-on-pogue macking,' huh?"

john b rolled his eyes. "i'd be willing to make an exception."

"she doesn't like me like that," jj muttered, looking down at his hands.

"bullshit. i've seen that girl break a kook's nose for talking shit about your family. remember your first birthday without your mom? you were crying because no one got you a gift, so hannah stole her dad's wallet and bought you a brand new surf-board and some candy. she came into school the next day with a broken wrist and bruised ribs, but she said it was worth it to make you happy. jj that girl loves you so much that she would do anything for you, so what's the problem?"

john b looked into jj's eyes just in time to watch a tear slide down the side of his face. "because you're right," jj's voice cracking as he spoke. "hannah deserves the sun, moon, and stars, and what can i give her? i can't even protect her! you've seen what topper and her dad have done to her! i've got nothing," jj whispered. "and she deserves everything."

...

hannah crept silently against the side of her house, painfully aware of the booming laughter of random men coming from the kitchen. after finally reaching her window, hannah peaked inside to make sure no one was in there before attempting to pry it open.

"fuck," hannah cursed. he knew i'd try to avoid him. hannah carefully planned out her next move. she knew she could just leave, john b and jj would be more than happy that she was with them instead of her abusive douchebag of a father, or she could finally face the music, take the beating, get her shit, and leave. hannah shook her head, but right as she was about to start making her trek back to john b's she heard a series of small yelps coming from inside. "fuck me and my stupid morals," hannah muttered as she walked towards the entrance to her house.