thirty-two

the air was silent as the van pulled up in front of barry's trailer.

"welcome to crackhead wasteland," sarah murmured.

pope sent jj a nervous look. "i don't know about this, man."

john b wore a bored expression on his face. "look, why are we at barry's?"

"this'll only take a second," jj hopped out of the driver's seat.

"where are you going?" john b questioned.

"yo soy justicia."

hannah groaned. "jj, you know i don't understand spanish."

"did you glean anything from that?" pope asked.

kie gave john b and hannah a pointed look. "you know somebody should probably..."

john b nodded. "yeah, we got it," he said, pulling hannah out with him and into the house. "so what's your plan, slick?"

"as thou hast stealeth from us, we shall stealeth from ye."

hannah glared at the blonde. "jay, do not try to go all shakespearean on me."

"yeah, that kinda got lost in translation."

jj huffed. "an eye for an eye, john b."

"yeah, that's great, jj, but what happens after you rob a drug dealer, huh? he knows who we are!"

jj let out a humorless chuckle. "i'm not scared of this guy."

"he knows hannah's dad and where she lives! what happens when he-"

jj spun around and grabbed john b by the collar, shoving him into a nearby wall. "don't finish that sentence." he turned to go into the back room. "there we go." hannah and john b watched as the blonde emptied out multiple stacks of cash onto the bed.

"what are you doing?" john b hissed.

"getting even." jj shoved the bills into his bag and exited the room. "alright, took care of business."

"hey, look at me," john b grabbed jj by the shoulders. "if you keep going down this road, you're gonna end up just like your dad."

"john b!" hannah gasped.

jj took a fistful of the boy's shirt. "you watch your mouth, man. aren't you tired of being messed with?"

"that's not the point, jj."

"'cause i am." jj released the boy and strutted confidently out of the house. "alright, so we're looking at five grand each for reparations for putting us through that bullshit. sorry about that, y'all."

kie gaped at the blonde. "so that's what we're doing now? we're robbing drug dealers?"

"this barry guy is gonna find out," sarah said. "and he's gonna come after us."

"yes, he will," pope chimed in. "this is not the time to start wilin' out."

"how'd you like having a gun pulled on you?" jj cut him off.

"relax," john b stated.

hannah could only watch in horror as jj pointed his finger at john b's skull.

"he had it right here on you, bro."

"look, we've gotta go get the gold, okay? just give me that shit, we're putting it back." john b snatched the money from jj's hands, only to be shoved into the side of the bus with jj's hand wrapped around his neck. "do you feel like a tough guy? huh? what are you gonna do when he comes for us? comes for hannah?"