Step 10

Several Days Later

Ross POV

"Rydel I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to do this," I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I can't stay away from her."

"I know it's tough Ross, but-"

"No, you don't know!" I yelled. "You don't know. You can still talk to her and see her. You two are best friends. I can't even get remotely close without her freaking out and being nearly in tears. I never did anything to her! But that motherfucker Marcus did, and now she's scared of me too. That bastard is gonna pay."

"Ross, please, just calm down don't do anything irrational," Rydel tried to reason.

"Fine. On one condition. Can you talk to Piper and see why she's so afraid of me? Maybe you can get her to talk to me," I sighed.

"Of course I can. Just don't pound Marcus' face in. That will only give Piper another reason to be scared of you," Rydel pointed out.

"Yeah, yeah. I won't do anything," I rolled my eyes. The bell went off, signaling we had to get to class. I slammed my locker door shut and enveloped Rydel in a hug. I planted a kiss on her forehead and smiled brightly at her.

"See you at lunch!" She shouted down the hall. I gave her a quick thumbs up then walked to Mr. Blight's room for chemistry.

******************

"What kind of a question is this?!" I mumbled to myself. I pulled at my hair in frustration and slammed my calculus book shut. The loud sound echoed throughout the quiet library and I felt my cheeks flush in embarrassment. I stuffed my books into my backpack and quickly left the library.

I walked to my locker and put away my calculus book. Just as I was about to grab my Afro-Asian book, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"What?" I snapped and turned only to see the ginger I've desperately been wanting to talk to all week.

"Piper," I whispered, shocked.

"H-hey Ross," she stuttered quietly.

"What's up?" I asked, my lips tugging I upwards into a smile.

"Well, um, uh, Rydel said you, uh, wanted to talk to me. So, here I am," she smiled weakly. I looked into her emerald eyes and saw one thing. Fear.

"Piper, I just want you to know that you have no reason to be afraid of me. I will never, ever hurt you. I promise. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I hurt you," I explained.

"Ross, don't make promises you can't keep," Piper whispered.

"Piper, I-"

"No, Ross. Don't. Please," Piper pleaded. "I-I've gotta get to class." And with that, Piper turned around a walked down the hallway. Within seconds I lost sight of her in the sea of people.

"Damnit Ross," I muttered. "Way to screw it up again."

*****************

That night, Piper was all I could think about. She took over my mind, made me feel things I had never experienced before. But the one thing that stuck out was that I felt like I knew her.

I know what you're thinking. "Duh, Ross, of course you know her. You talk to her all the time."

But that's not what I mean. I recognize Piper from somewhere. I don't know if I just saw her at the park or something or if I have actually conversed with her. But I know her from somewhere. I just don't know where.

"Ross?" There was a knock at my door.

"Yeah?" I answered. My older brother, Riker, came into view as he opened the door wider and stepped into my room.

"I just wanted to let you know that I'm heading out," Riker explained.

"Where you headed?" I asked, curious as to where he would be going this late at night.

"I'm taking Stephanie to that waterfall over in Laramie. I hear it's beautiful at night."

"Isn't that kind of a far drive?"

"It's a bit of a ways, but it will be worth it."

"Alright, well, have fun," I smiled.

"See ya later," Riker saluted me with two fingers, then proceeded to walk out of my room, closing the door behind him.

I've only been to the falls in Laramie once. It was about three years ago. Honestly it was traumatizing. I was there with Riker and my parents so we could see the falls. But when we got there, there was a girl who was trying to drown herself.

Without a second thought, I ripped off my shoes and jumped into the pool at the bottom of the falls where she was. I grabbed her and pulled her to the surface, dragging her to shore. My mom immediately called 911 and the paramedics showed up quickly where they took her to the hospital.

I visited her everyday. She was asleep for three days, and I was there when she woke up. I introduced myself and gave her the flowers I had for her. Not wanting things to be awkward, I left after that. I never did get the girl's name, but I wish I had. All I remember was that she had flaming red hair and dazzling green eyes. Kinda like Piper.

Piper.

Holy shit.

That girl was Piper.

A/N: Hey yo! So I'm sick. Bad for me, good for you, cuz that means: UPDATE!! Whale I hope you like this latest installment of How To Save A Life. Comment your thoughts! I love to hear from you guys!!

Comment and vote and follow. Love youuuuuuuuuu