Step 11

"Riker!" I yelled as my older brother walked through the door. He looked startled as he set down his keys.

"Damn, Ross, you scared me," Riker pretended to wipe his forehead.

"Riker, I need to talk to you," I said hurriedly. "Do you remember when we went to the falls three years ago?"

"And you saved that girl that was trying to drown herself? Of course I remember that, Ross. That's not something you forget," Riker said.

"Yeah, well, I know that girl. Her name is Piper and she goes to my school," I explained.

"So? Why do I care?" Riker asked.

"So? SO?! Riker, I have a chance to get to know this girl, be her friend. And as a matter of fact, I already have. Remember a few weeks ago when I went to the mall with Rydel? Yeah, I met her there. Not only that, I saved her from being raped."

"Ross," Riker said, his eyes softening. "I had no idea-"

"Yeah, you didn't Riker. Honestly, I can see why she wanted to end her life. She had a shitface like Marcus chasing her around, beating her and trying to rape her and that whore Brittany is making her life a living hell. She can't go anywhere without being tortured. If I was her, damn, I would want to end my life too."

"Ross," Riker said, gravely serious. I ignored him and continued on with my rant.

"And now she hates me. I didn't do anything to her. I haven't been around her for nearly a week, and I can't stand it! It's killing me to be lik-"

"Ross," Riker cut me off, but I continued.

"God Riker would you please just shut up for minute and pay attention to someone besides yourse-"

"ROSS!" Riker roared. I flinched at the tone and volume of his voice, and I was reminded of those nights. Those terrible and awful nights.

"Turn. Around," he said through gritted teeth. I turned around and saw the first and last person I wanted to see standing in the front entrance.

Piper.

*********************

"Damn, Ross, how do you always manage to screw things up?" Rydel asked with a bitter chuckle.

"I-I don't know," I stuttered. Ever since my latest and greatest run-in with Piper, I haven't been able to think straight. I've lost confidence and motivation to even get out of bed. I feel so awful for what I've done to her.

I broke her.

"Hey," Rydel said, seeing the state I'm in. "It's all gonna be alright. It's just a little bump in the road. We've had plenty of those, aye?" I chuckled slightly, remembering some of the more humorous "bumps."

"I promise, I'll be with you this whole journey. Best friends forever, k?" Rydel smiled cheesily.

"Best friends forever," I rolled my eyes playfully and wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

*******************

"Who went through my papers?" He growled, looking through them hastily.

"I-it wasn't either of us," Riker stuttered.

"You're lying!" He yelled and grabbed Riker by the collar.

"No, no I'm not," Riker whimpered, close to tears.

"It's not good to lie. Only assholes lie. Are you and asshole Riker?" He asked with an evil grin. Riker shook his head violently and spoke up once more.

"I'm not lying!"

"YES YOU ARE!" He roared and raised his hand in the air.

"STOP!" I screamed. He threw Riker across the room where he hit the wall and fell to the floor. His attention turned to me and he started walking towards me with a deathly glare in his eyes.

"What did you say?" He asked.

"I told you to stop," I replied quietly.

"And why should I?" He asked with a sneer.

"Because no father should be beating their children."

A/N: I love you all. So here is another update. If you saw this, comment "Just a Bump in the Road." I've been feeling very inspired this week... even though I was sick.

So I would like your opinion. Do you want SHORTER updates MORE OFTEN or LONGER updates LESS OFTEN? Just a question for yall so I know your preference.

Comment and vote and follow. Love all yall. Adios.