Chill Day (8)

The next day I yawned and heard a light tap coming from my door.

I peered and looked at my phone. '8:30am?!' I practically jumped out the bed. A knock came again.

"Dee?" Aunt Verna said and I answered.

"Yes? I'm sorry I just woke up!" I said.

She smiled coming in in her double-breasted grey Tom Ford suit. Her hair was tied back again in a bun, her grey hairs evident but she embraced it. You wouldn't think my aunt was a day over 30. "Don't worry, it was a long and stressful weekend. Steve has taken Jason to school today. Have a restful day and I will see you later! Fernando is back tomorrow too and he said he has a surprise for you." She kissed my forehead as I crawled back to bed and smiled.

"Bye mama." I said and she waved me away. I heard her a faint knock on the door opposite and I'm sure she was going to check on Mason's health. I let out a breath and rubbed my eyes. There was no way I was going back to sleep now. I decided to get up and take a shower. I left my hair in smaller twists and got changed into an oversized pink jumper and black leggings. I saw a reminder pop up on my phone that I had my meeting with Ida tomorrow and smiled.

I checked my phone and saw a message from Jacqui, 'which topic is better to discuss? How the UK still have institutionalised racism or how black patients get worser care by the NHS?'

'NHS, definitely. Investigate it.' I responded and she responded with a thumbs up. Jacqui was a journalist and always has been. She had graduated with a first class degree in Print Journalism and had even travelled to different countries to interview the lives of those in difficult situations. She was pretty much a human rights activist through her writings.

I got up and played some worship music and decided to pray before starting my day. It usually helped to calm any anxieties and gave me an opportunity to speak to God. I soon got up and headed to the kitchen for breakfast.

"Still bumming it out here I see. Second week." Isaiah mocked as he sipped his black coffee as always and his eyes were glued to his MacBook.

"What's it this time? Money Laundering or just outright tax invasion?" I mocked as I cracked some eggs and cooked an omelette.

" You know, I'm not at liberty to discuss my cases." He grinned as he knew I was teasing him.

"Don't worry tomorrow I have my meeting with Ida, hopefully my summer job rolls through from there." I said as I boiled the kettle to make a cup of tea.

"Mmm, I had to suck a lot of arse to get you that opportunity, you better get a job out of it." He was back to reading his case file. I turned over my egg and put some bread in the toaster. He quickly shut his laptop. "Off to chambers." He said and swung the last of his coffee and headed for the door.

Before I even got to say bye the door slammed closed and I just laughed silently at Isaiah's antics. He was truly one of a kind. I made a cup of Earl grey tea and buttered my toast on a plate. I placed my Spinach frittata next to it and headed for the second living room. Mason was already sprawled out on one side of the sofa watching rugby highlights.

"Go awa- oh hey." He said groggily. He was face down on the sofa. I bit my lip feeling sorry for him and put my food on the table.

"Have you eaten?" I asked him.

He nodded, "Esme woke me up to eat and take my medicine. She made me waffles and pancakes."

I fake gasped acting jealous, "not waffles and pancakes!"

He laughed slightly and coughed, "Mmhmm they were tasty." He said like a kid and I laughed. I sat by where his head laid and grabbed by tray of food. I tucked into my Spinach frittata and drank my cup of tea.