Surprise! (23)

The majority of the guests had arrived and were seated. Alana and I had arranged the gifts table at the back and Jacqui had informed me that we were going to walk Aunt Verna in when she arrived.

"If everyone may take their seats now, they are on their way!" Malcolm announced. The boys had been running around all day and it was sweet to see how much effort they had gone to for their mother. Everything had been arranged now, all we were waiting for was the guest of honour.

A few moments later Mason came and took a seat on the other side of me. Of course his place card was placed next to mine. He just smiled but didn't say anything, I knew he knew exactly what I was thinking.

"I just love your dress Alana where did you get it from?" Ida asked her. She sat opposite us and there was a space where Isaiah would sit.

"Thank you! I bought it in a boutique in Paris, been saving it for a special occasion." She grinned.

"Your brother's wedding was just a few weeks ago?" I asked amused.

"Girl I was a bridesmaid my outfit didn't count." She said and I laughed. My aunt Valerie came through the door with her husband and they took the closest seat to where Uncle Fernando and Aunt Verna would sit. She was Aunt Verna's older sister but frankly they looked just alike. Her best friend Sharon sat a few seats down and a few others of mum's friends had flown out from her work place and the rest was the the family.

"Isaiah it's okay just take a seat now." Ida pouted. Isa had been on the move non-stop. It was about time he settled.

"Lilah do you like my suit?" Jason asked me and I grinned.

"Of course, you look like a grown man in it." I smiled at him as he was across the table.

Even Esme had dressed up and given us a little bit of lipstick today. I'd never seen her in make up before.

"Okay everybody ready? They are arriving." Isaiah hissed. The band stop playing and all the music went off then the lights.

A few minutes later we heard the shuffling of the front door. Everything had been packed away and hidden so there were no traces of us living there - at least downstairs.

"Oh wow Fernando this place is beautiful." We heard Aunt Verna say and the sound of her heels clicking. They made their way further into the house and approached the kitchen.

"Gracias," she said, someone from the chef's team must have served her a glass of champagne.

"Being with you all these years Verna has been such a blessing to me. I had to celebrate you and make your day special. Yesterday we had a beautiful day together and a romantic evening and that was just part one of the festivities. Honestly as much as it's me and you I couldn't have done this alone so I just wanted to say Happy Birthday baby and I love you." My Uncle said and there were definitely tears in my eyes. I believe they kissed and then he pulled the curtain away.

"SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY VERNA!" We all stood up and shouted. The lights turned on then the music started playing and my aunt stood at the balcony with her hands over her face bewildered.

"You guys!" She said and tears started cascading down her face. Uncle Fernando held onto her and rubbed her shoulder.

"Baby it's okay, we just wanted to honour and appreciate you for all you've done." He smiled and looked up at us. Everyone aww'd and myself and the boys headed over to the path that led down to the beach where the dinner party was.

"Mum it's okay. We just wanted to say we love and appreciate you and this is just a small token." Isaiah said as he walked up first to hug her. We all hugged her.