Part Eight

'I see a very huge smile on your face. Had a fun day honey?' 

Hazel blushes and looks away. 'I made some friends.' She walks over to the kitchen and smells the dinner her mother has cooked. 'Smells delicious mom.' 

'Thank you sweetheart. It is ready so sit down.' Hazel hums while walking to the table. Her mother and her have fixed spots. They never sit on each others seats. Her father has also a spot for himself, despite him not being alive anymore. He will always be a part of their family. 

'So, you said you made friends. What are they like?'

'I bit like me actually, but they're all different.'

'Of course.'

'The one I like the most so far is Rebecca. She is very sweet and we can laugh together. It feels like I know her so much longer than just one day.'

'That's lovely! I am so happy for you honey.' 

'Mom!'

'Yes?'

Hazel starts laughing. 'We said we would visit the neighbour today. I totally forgot.'

'Oh right! I also forgot it. Well, we can go another time, time enough.' 

After dinner Hazel goes up stairs. She lets herself fall on her bed and takes a deep breath. It is time to relax and enjoy some reading. Her bag is under her bead. She picks it up and grabs the book. As she opens it, she can smell Masons fragrance. He smells very manly and fresh. When she feels herself smirking she immediately stops. Why is she so happy to smell his fragrance? 

Her hair goes up in a bun and she starts reading. She has read this story a million times but it is still a fun book to read. The story is nearly finished. When she's finished reading the chapter she turns the page. 

'What the-'

Somebody drew a winking face in her precious book. It is her favourite book. Why would anyone do that? Then she remembers Masons face when he returned the book to her. He gave her a big wink. Did he do this? She wants to be mad at him, but she isn't. 

'I don't get it. Why doesn't it bother me?' 

Instead of being mad she feels kind of flattered. The jerk of the school wrote something sweet in her book. He could have wrote mean words but he didn't. A little winking face isn't the end of the world. She would never do something like this, but it's okay. She is not going to make a big deal out of this. There are worse things in life than people drawing in your books. 

'Honey! Can you come down for a second?' 

'I'm coming mom!'

When she's downstairs she sees her mother on the couch. Her mother smiles at her. 

'I found a very good movie and I wanted to celebrate that you made some friends. I bought snacks and we can drink tea. We'll make a nice little ladiesnight out of it.  What do you think?'

Hazel jumps on the couch. She pulls the blanket over them.

'I would love that mom. Bring out those snacks.' 

They both start laughing and hug each other. Her mother is her best friend. There is no one she loves more dearly. She is her number one supporter and will always be there for her. 

Her mother picked out a horror movie. It is their favourite genre, they like scary movies. This one is about a girl who is living in a possessed house. They enjoy their snacks and tea. When it starts raining Hazel smiles. She loves this evening, it is so cosy. And she gets to spend it with her favourite human on this planet. 

'I love you mom.'

She gets a kiss on her forehead. 'I know honey. I hope you know I love you more.'