Part Sixteen

Hazel walks into the school building with mixed feelings. On one hand she feels happy and relieved she isn't feeling mad anymore, but on the other hand she still feels like she betrayed Rebecca. Hazel is going to get to know Mason behind her back, and she even told him Rebecca's secret. Hazel is not really the best friend anyone could ask for. She is confused why her emotions switch all the time when she is with Mason. Her heart says she should let him in her life, but her head isn't so sure about that. Her mind has a feeling he is going to break her heart.

She feels a hand around her shoulder.

'Hey newbie.'

'Mason', she hisses, 'I said in private. This absolutely doesn't look like that.'

'Oh right. I'm sorry, I forgot.'

He gives her his signature smirk. He is totally not being serious right now.

'You're so annoying, you know that?'

'I only heard that from you newbie. Everyone else loves me.'

'I bet they do.'

'Do you want to lunch together again today?'

'I don't think I should. My friends would get suspicious if I never lunch with them.'

'Too bad. I was looking forward to it.'

'Sorry!' While she says it she sticks out her tongue to him.

'And you say I'm annoying. You have never met yourself I suppose.'

She pushes him to the lockers, then he stares into her eyes a little too long. Her belly gets filled with butterflies. Mason gives her a wink.

'Stop it!'

He is absolutely the worst person to have a secret relationship, or whatever she would call this, with. Mason is always joking around when they are together. The only time she saw him being serious was when she talked about her dad. He was really there for her at that time, he knew that that wasn't something to be joking about. Hazel really appreciated that.

They see Rebecca walking towards them in the hallway. She is still far away but Hazel starts walking faster, she needs to get away from Mason.

'I see you later', she whispers.

'Have a nice day!'

While she walks away she can't stop herself from smiling. He really does something to her, but she doesn't know what it is.

'Hey! I felt so bad for you last night.'

'Why Becca?'

'Mason texted me that he needed to send you more homework. You were working while we were all having fun at the beach.'

'It is what it is. Mason indeed texted the extra work. It wasn't that much luckely.'

'That's a relief', she sighs.

'Did you guys have fun last night?'

'Yes! We certainly did. Oh and about Mason again, I was so happy he texted me again. He hasn't done that in a long time, since I wasn't his tutor anymore actually.'

'Ah, I'm very happy for you! Did you guys text a lot?'

'Not a lot unfortunately. I asked if he had a nice day, but his answers were quite short.'

'Ahw that's-'

'He stayed online for a few hours after that! I think he has someone else already. I was so sad.'

'Very-'

'I mean, I had a crush on him for five years now. I really thought I had a chance with him, when I became his tutor, but he never spoke about his feelings for me. Now he already has someone and that upsets me. Why can't he see the beauty in me?'

'He does! I bet he really thinks you are beautiful, but you can't force love. Maybe the other girl is very nice aswell.'

'I don't think so. I bet it is a bitch and very arrogant. She probably looks like a doll, with a lot of make-up.'

Hazel almost chokes on her water.

'Are you alright?'

'Yes, don't worry about me! What are you going to do about Mason?'

'I think I'm going to ask him on a lunch date today.'

'Ah, you should.'

Hazel feels a twinge of jealousy, she could have had lunch with him today, but now her friend is going to.

'Thanks Hazel, for the confidence boost! I think he'll start to like me if we have lunch together. Then he gets to know the real me, you know?'

'Absolutely.'

'There he is. Bye girl!'

And just like that Hazel gets left alone. She really gave Rebecca the advice to ask Mason on a date. How stupid can a person be? Maybe he really starts liking her now. Hazel regrets everything she did today already. This is going to be another terrible day.