Part Thirty-Two

Both Mason and Hazel have a magnificent time in California. They are very comfortable with each other despite the fact they have only known each other for a couple of months. Hazel feels happy when she's around him.  Their chemistry is unique and beautiful. She can't imagine a world without him anymore. 

Three days have passed already since their arrival. They have swum, chattered, danced, laughed and tonight they are going to watch a movie. At this very moment, Mason is cooking their dinner, while Hazel is reading a book. 

''Are you sure you don't want my help?'', she asks.

''My dear, please just rest. I got this, besides you have helped me every night so far, you deserve a little rest princess.''

''Well, if you insist'', Hazel smiles as she turns a page, ''you're one precious man.''

''Cooking for a precious woman'', he winks at her. 

''Such a flirt.''

Her thoughts wander to Rebecca. What is she doing at this moment? Did she notice that the two of them left? There's no way she wouldn't notice that. Hazel realizes she needs to tell her the truth after this trip, she can't avoid it forever. She is in love with Mason, something she didn't exactly expect when she first saw him. He is the only man who can make her smile after her father. They truly are meant to be, she has no doubts about that. If she tells Rebecca and she gets mad, she still has Mason left. He will love her endlessly and that's what she wants. If Rebecca doesn't love her no matter what, she's a bad friend. That is what Hazel has been telling herself these couple of days, but she also knows that is not hundred percent fair towards Rebecca. For now, she has to push the thought of guilt away in order to enjoy her holiday in California. 

''I can see that you're thinking of something. What is it?''

''Nothing special really, I was just thinking of Rebecca's reaction. What will she say when I tell her about us?''

''I don't know, she might be very upset or she could be happy for us. I will be there for you when you tell her, I won't let you carry that burden alone. It would be very selfish of me.''

''Thank you Mason.''

''So, how are you going to tell her?''

''That's a tough question. I think I'll start with saying how much I love her and want her as my best friend forever. Then I'll say sorry in advance and then I really have to tell her the whole truth. I know it's going to be hard.''

''I know, but it's unavoidable. She will find out one day if we don't tell her.''

Hazel blushes as she hears him saying 'us', they are really one team and she loves that. 

''Unfortunately, you're right. I really do believe that she will understand eventually and then we can finally be seen together, in public.''

''Oh, how I would love that sweetheart. We could have dates, lunch together at school, walk each other to class. I can't wait for that to become reality.''

''Yes'', she puts away her book,'' but we're not there yet. Right now we just have to enjoy our trip, worry-free remember?''

He laughs, she feels the butterflies dancing around in her stomach, he has the most gorgeous smile she has ever seen. Mason is done cooking and he dishes up their dinners. The table is set with candles and wine. Her mother told them not to drink alcohol but they ignored that rule. Red rose peddles are sprinkled over the table cloth. It is a romantic sight. 

When they are seated, he takes her hand and stares in her eyes. 

''I love you so much, you have no idea. We have known each other for a few months now and since you entered my life, I finally feel what real love is supposed to feel like. You are such a warm person and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you.''

She swallows the lump in her throat because she doesn't want to cry in front of him right now. It is supposed to be a very happy dinner and there's no way Hazel wants to ruin that. He strokes her hand when he sees she gets a little emotional. 

''You don't have to respond, gorgeous. I can tell you feel the same way by that little tear in your eye'', he laughs as he wipes away her tear. 

''I am so lucky to have you in my life'', she laughs at him. 

After dinner, they cuddle up together to watch a movie. His arms hold her and they fall asleep like that on the couch.