Part Eleven

With a happy feeling Hazel returns to her school. The big smile on her face reveals that she is feeling delighted. When she noticed his scent being very prominent, Hazel had to spray loads of her own perfume. How would she explain to Rebecca that she is smelling like Mason? She is very aware of the fact that that would be impossible, especially after Hazel had a whole rant about him. It would be very hypocritical and she doesn't think that Rebecca would really fancy her going to the woods with Mason, her crush. 

When they were on their way back, Hazel gave his jacket back to him. 

'You can keep it on.' 

Hazel had shaken her head, she didn't want to give him the wrong idea. When it started raining, he had tried to push his jackets in her hands again.

'I'm not going to let you get sick Hazel.' 

'I know, but I'm not.' 

Now she's very satisfied with herself that she didn't wear his jacket to school. It would have looked so weird. 

'Wow, look at my girl shining.' 

Rebecca appears on her right side and they start walking in the same rythm. As usual, she is smoking a cigarette. 

'Yes, I had lunch with my mom. It was so lovely, we talked about our new life here in Denver.' 

Hazel is amazed the lies roll of her tongue so easily. Why does she feel the need to lie to Rebecca? It is not like she has no boy friends, so Hazel is allowed to have one herself. But for some reason, he doesn't feel like just a boy friend and that holds her back from telling Rebecca about her real lunch partner. 

'I'm so glad you had fun!' 

'Yeah, absolutely.' 

Hazel is afraid Rebecca can sense something is off so she starts smiling.

'And what about your lunch? Did you have fun?' 

'Yes! I sat with Brooke, Elliot and the rest. We had a plan for tonight, we wanted to go stargazing at the beach!'

'Ah lovely! I love the beach.'

'I'm happy to hear that, because you're coming with us!' 

'Oh! Well, I don't have time tonight. Because I am new in the class a lot of teachers gave me extra work to do, you know?'

'Aw, I'm so dissappointed. I wanted to have you there with us!' 

'I'm really sorry.'

'It is not your fault! We can go again another time, don't worry about it!' 

Hazel gets a stomachache from lying to her like that. It doesn't feel right, but she doesn't want to start a fight with Rebecca about some boy. Who she doesn't even like, Rebecca can have him, with pleasure. Hazel doesn't care if she would date him. Mason and her are just friends, there's nothing more to it. 

'Have fun tonight Becca!' 

'Thank you! Good luck with your homework.' 

They walk inside of the building and part ways. Each of them goes to their own classroom.