Part Twenty-Four

Dear lovely, amazing people. I just wanted to take a moment to address a few things. Everyone knows what's happening in the United States right now. I just want you to know that I'm here for you, I support you, I love you, Black Lives Matter. If you go out to protest, please take good care of yourself and others! If you're not able to protest, you can help in other ways. Sign as many petitions you possibly can, donate money, raise awareness, talk about it with family or friends. I just want you to stay safe and know that I love you. Black Lives Matter!

I would also like to thank celestyahl for making me beautiful cover art! Thank you a lot, I appreciate it so much! I still can't believe people would want to make cover art for me and my story! Much love from me!

'Hazel! Wake up, you're going to be late.'

Her eyes open and then she remembers she's laying in Mason's arms. Hazel breaks free from his loving grip. It wakes him up, as he misses the warmth all of a sudden.

'Hey beautiful', he smiles to her.

'You have to go!'

'Wait, why? What happened?', his eyes widen as he wakes up a little more.

'My mother just shouted that I have to get ready. I don't want to be late, and besides she'll notice your car in front of our house.'

He pulls her back into his arms. For a moment she forgets all the stress she had seconds ago. Then reality kicks in again and she breaks free for the second time.

'Mason, we really have to get up now. Can you leave through the window?'

'I can't, it is too high. You remember yesterday?'

'Basically it was this day.'

'Well, whatever, the point is I can't jump from here.'

'I have an idea!'

She pulls her pajama shirt over her head, he stares at her.

'Eyes are up here Mason.'

Her wardrobe is super neat and organized, she picks a red shirt and denim jeans. Mason got the hint and he looks away now.

'Nice outfit', he says when she's dressed.

'I go downstairs and talk to my mother in the kitchen. You sneak out through the backdoor. No jokes now Mason. You get down and leave.'

'Got it. I won't joke around, I promise you.' He gives her a kiss on her cheek. 'I enjoyed it with you.'

'Just make sure you get out unseen.'

Her mother is making her breakfast as she sings her new favourite song. Hazel walks up to her and gives her a hug.

'Good morning mom!'

'You are happy, good morning sweetheart.' Her mother gives her a kiss on her head.

Hazel sees Mason going through the backdoor, he turns around one last time to wave. She waves back very subtle.

'Did you sleep well?', her mother asks.

'Yes, absolutely!'

Her phone buzzes in her back pocket of her jeans.

'I'll bring you to school', she reads.

'Give me ten minutes ', Hazel replies.

'Mom, I really have to go or else I will be too late. So can I eat my breakfast on the way?'

'Eh, yes you can. It's nearly finished honey.'

After a couple of minutes she hands over Hazel's breakfast. She put yoghurt, fresh fruits and a spoon in one tray, it looks delicious.

'Thank you mom, love you!'

Hazel makes her way outside, where Mason is waiting for her in his car. He opens her door and when she's in, they drive off.

'Thanks for the ride.'

'No problem newbie.'

It is not a very far ride to their school, it is basically just around the corner of her house. After a couple of minutes they arrive, get out and split their ways again.

'Have fun today!'

'You too!'

As Hazel is walking to her classroom, she's joined by Rebecca. She is as happy and nice as ever. Hazel swears that girl never has a bad mood.

'Hey girl!'

'Hey', she replies.

'I thought, what if we go to the mall after school? Just the two of us, nobody else, just some you and me time. What do you think?'

'I would love to Rebecca.'

'Yes!'

Rebecca hooks her arm into hers, they continue their way to the classroom like this. They certainly are going to have a nice afternoon together. It will also make their bond even stronger. That's something Hazel really wants, she really wants to have Rebecca as her friend for life.

'Hottie alert!', Rebecca points in the direction of the English classroom. They see Mason waiting for a closed door, he has his backpack on his back and looks rather nerdy in this setting. Hazel thinks he always looks a little bit less 'bad' when he's on his own. It is the people around him who make him seem like a bad boy. Mason on his own is just a handsome guy.

'I actually have to take back my words. I think I was too early to judge. He's actually quite nice, you were right.'

'See? I told you! What made you change your mind?'

'Nothing special. He just asked me if I finished the extra work he had to give to me. Mason also asked if it was hard and stuff like that. Basically he was just being very interested and nice.'

'I'm glad you changed your opinion on him, can't have any feuds between you two. It would make things so much harder if him and I would eventually date.'

'Date? I thought you said he had someone else?'

'I know, I still think that but I won't give up. There's always hope, especially when you least expect it.'

'That's true, I guess.'

Why won't she just give up? Things would be so much easier if Rebecca stopped crushing on him. At least Hazel told her her genuine opinion on Mason. It felt good to finally be honest to her, or at least a little bit honest. She still doesn't know the whole truth after all, but when Hazel is ready she'll tell her.

'I really feel like I have known you so much longer. We can talk about everything, we never judge each other. I really love you.' Rebecca wraps her arms around Hazel and squeezes.

Mason is still waiting for the door to open, he stares at her. She realizes he has been there the whole time, he might have overheard some bits. Rebecca has her back to him, she doesn't see his face. Mason winks to Hazel before the English classroom finally opens. He blows her a kiss and then he disappears.

'I love you too Becca.'