Part Nine

'Hey newbie.'

Hazel turns around despite the fact she already knows who's behind her. When she sees his face, she smiles at him. The smile is very demure, she doesn't want to give the impression that she is interested in him. 

'How are you doing on this sunny morning?'

'Wonderful, what about you?'

He shakes his head and stares dramatically to the ground. 'Actually, I was missing the most beautiful girl on this planet. I wanted to talk to her.' 

'That would be me, I suppose.' The sarcastic way she speaks makes him laugh.

'I'm sorry to dissappoint you, but it is actually your mother' Mason gives her a playful push and starts walking a little bit faster. 

'Loser!' 

Hazel is shocked at how loud she laughs and how happy she feels right now. She hasn't felt this confident in a very long time and she thinks it is because of Mason's presence. He stares at her, she can feel it. Blushing is the very least thing she wants to do at this moment, so she continues the conversation quickly.

'What are you going to do after school?'

'Are you asking me on a date newbie?'

'No! Absolutely not, I wouldn't even do that for a million dollars.'

'Ouch, harsh. Newbie, you have officially hurt my feelings, how dare you?' 

'I'm so sorry, what can I do to make it up to you?'

Mason stops walking and looks at her thoughtfully. 'Let me think about that for a second newbie.' 

'Go ahead.' 

After, what feels like a good minute, he looks over to his car. 

'Newbie, you have to-'

'Oh help.'

'You have to come with me after school. We are going to drive for a bit, we can watch the sunset.' 

Hazel thinks about his idea and notices she would actually enjoy that. As she's thinking Rebecca pops up in her head. It is a bit mean to her, but Hazel doesn't consider this a date, so there's no intentions behind it. After all, she is allowed to make more friends than just Rebecca. 

'Okay. I'm in.' 

Mason starts doing a very weird dance and starts laughing. 'Yes! You can call this my victory dance.' 

Hazel pushes him over to the wall and looks in his eyes. 'Stop it! You are embarrassing me!' He has the most beautiful eyes she has ever seen in her life. They are a mixture of green, blue and grey. He stares at her a little too long, it is too late, Hazel feels her cheeks getting red already. 

'You have nice eyes newbie.'

'Thanks.'

'Normally this is the point where you tell the other person that he has nice eyes.'

'Well, not today Mason.'

'Do you want to lunch together newbie?'

She knows he always sits with the sport guys. They look very intimidating to her, so she isn't sure if she should join them. Mason looks over to her and sees she's thinking about it. 

'We could sit alone, if that is what you would rather have.' This boy is full of surprises, she thinks, now he can read her mind all of a sudden. 

'I guess I would enjoy that.' Rebecca and her new friends pop up in her head aswell, wouldn't it be a bit weird to leave them already? They have welcomed her with open arms and now she is already going to lunch with Mason. 

She feels a special feeling when she looks at him. What if he changes his mind, if she said no this time? Maybe he wouldn't asked her anymore if she rejects him today. Lunch with Mason, as friends, that's the plan. 

'Yes, I want to Mason.' 

'Okay newbie, I have two classes left and then I'll pick you up with my car. We can lunch in the park, where it is quiet.' 

'I'll be there.'

Mason walks of but he doesn't wave at her. Instead he runs to the English teacher. 

'Miss, I had a question for you!' 

Hazel gets left alone, but not for long. 'Hey Hazel! I saw you talking to Mason. I thought you said he was mean?' Rebecca starts walking along with her while smoking a cigarette. 

'Oh yeah. Mason wanted to apologize for his actions on the first day, so he did.'

Rebecca throws her cigarette on the floor. 'Oh how thoughtful of him. I told you he was nice, didn't I?' 

'Yes, you did. I must say, he is indeed quite nice actually. He's a very good match with you, because you're nice too.' 

'Aw, so sweet of you. Oh I have to go now, my class starts. See you at lunch!' 

'About that, I won't be there!'