Part Twenty

Finally Mason walks out of the school to pick her up. It felt like this day went on and on. Hazel sits on the grass, waiting for him. The grass is still a bit damp because of the rain, that's why she put her coat on the ground to sit on. She sees that Mason is coming closer to where she is sitting. They wave at each other and smile. When he's standing in front of her, she gets up.

'Ready?'

'Yes!'

Together they walk to his car, in which they are going to drive to Hazel's house. Just when he starts the engine, Rebecca walks past them.

'Shit!'

'What?'

'Rebecca just walked past us.'

Mason tries to calm her down, but he isn't really bothered if Rebecca sees them together anyways.

'Calm down, it's okay. She probably didn't even see us!'

'I hope so.'

Mason rolls with his eyes, when she says things like that she hurts his feelings. She's basically saying that she doesn't want to be seen with him in public. He gets the reason why, because of Rebecca, but does it really matter? Would Rebecca be mad at her for a lifetime, just because they sat in a car together? He hopes this fear isn't going to stay forever, because he doesn't know if he can handle that. There are plenty of girls who would want to be with him, and publicly for the world to see them together. He adores Hazel a lot, but if she doesn't change, maybe it is the end of their story.

In silence they drive to her house, where her mother waits for them. She opens the door and hugs both Hazel and Mason. They introduce themselves to each other.

'Welcome Mason! You will be staying for dinner, I heard?'

'If I'm not a burden, please ma'am.'

'No, you're absolutely not! It's only the two of us anyways, we always have a lot of food left. It is a shame to throw that away every day.'

Mason laughs.

'Dinner is ready in twenty minutes, so you can now go upstairs if you want!'

They walk to her room, where a girly, floral scent waits for them. Hazel has a neat room with lots of books. Her duvet is white, just like her pillows. Mason walks over to her bedside table, where Wuthering Heights is laying.

'I remember this one! I found it at the library the other day.' He grins.

'Yes, you did!'

Nobody has seen her room yet besides her and her mother. Him standing next to her feels kind of surreal. It is weird to see him in a different setting, away from school and the area. She blushes as she realizes the fact Mason is staring at her. He comes a little closer.

'What are you thinking about?'

'Nothing.'

He takes the tuft of hair from her face and puts it behind her ear. He then looks over to her eyes.

'I don't believe that. Tell me.'

'It's just', she pulls a loose thread from here sweater, 'I have never had anyone besides me and my mother in my room. It feels kind of weird.'

'Are you uncomfortable with it? I can leave right now if you want.'

Her eyes widen and she takes a step forward. Her cheeks are getting more read with the minute. It's very obvious, so he must notice it. The thought of that makes her blush even more.

'No, I don't want you to go. I actually don't mind you being here Mason.'

'I'm glad you feel that way.'

There is a silence, not a awkward one, just a thoughtful silence. They haven't looked away from each other since their eyes met a couple of minutes ago. Crazy enough, it doesn't freak her out, she feels quite comfortable staring into his eyes.

'In your old town, you must have had friends there, why did they not see your room?'

'Well, because I didn't really have any friends.'

'Oh.'

'I know, it's stupid.'

'It's not! The people that didn't want to be friends with you are stupid. They are missing out on a great, beautiful girl!'

'That is very sweet of you.'

While staring out of the window, he sighs deeply. He crosses his arms on the windowsill.

'Hopefully we will be on our way to California in four days.'

When Hazel is standing next to him, he puts his arm around her shoulder.

'I know Mason. I would really love that!'

'I'm hoping that your mother says yes. We will have the best time ever, together.'

'We certainly will.'

'It feels like I've known you way longer than just these few weeks.'

'Wow, I feel the same way! I am very comfortable around you.'

'I'm very happy about that.'

Mason thinks about what she just said. In a way, she is very comfortable around him, but only when it is just the two of them. When there are more people about, she completely changes into a different person. The day she is fully comfortable around him, he'll do his victory dance again. He chuckles.

'What are you laughing about?'

He doesn't reply, instead he just looks at her. She's one of the most prettiest girls he has ever seen. Her eyes, her mouth, her hair, he could stare at her the whole day.
They stare deeply into each others eyes, when all of a sudden her mothers shouts that their dinner is ready.