Part Thirteen

After a long drive they arrive at the Butterfly Pavilion. Mason bursts out laughing while he gets out of the car.

'What is it?'

'The place is closed already. We drove all the way here for nothing.'

His words hurt her a little bit, she enjoyed the drive, it wasn't useless to her. He is saying it like the drive was horrible with her. He sees her dissappointed face.

'No! I didn't mean it like that. I enjoyed it with you, talking, singing and stuff. I meant that we could have gone to another place directly instead.'

Hazel shrugs and walks to the building. The lights are out and there is a sign saying that the open tomorrow again.

'Too bad, I would have loved it in here.'

'Me too newbie.'

He puts his around her waist and pulls her closer. He then stares deeply into her eyes while he smirks.

'We could also go to the beach.'

'Yes, I love-'

Her thoughts go to Rebecca and the rest of the friendgroup. She said they were going to the beach this night. It is very likely that they will see them together then. How would she explain that to Rebecca? She lied to her after all.

He grabs her hand and starts walking back to his car, but she resists.

'No, we can't go there. It is just-'

'Oh I get it!'

'You do?'

'Yes, newbie can't swim.'

He gives her a playful push while smiling at her.

'I can! It's just that my friends asked me to go to the beach with them. I kind of lied.'

'Kind of?'

'I said I had extra homework, because I'm new.'

'Why did you lie? Are you embarrassed if they see us together?'

'We aren't together Mason. It was a friendly night out, as friends. Remember?'

'Seriously Hazel, do you really think that I act to my friends like this? I didn't think you would be that stupid. I only said as friends, so that you would come with me.'

'Stupid? I can't help it that you aren't being clear. Friends means friends to me, nothing more Mason.'

He wants to respond to her but she starts talking again.

'And besides that, remember how you treated me the first day. You have to be grateful that I even went here with you.'

'I'm sorry about that, I was just joking around. I just thought that my intentions were clear, but I guess they weren't.'

'I don't know you Mason! You are a stranger to me.'

She immediately regrets saying that.

'Ah I see how it is. Well lets go back to our own houses then, shall we? You don't want to be out with a complete stranger.'

Hazel feels upset and is starting to get angry at him. When she's angry she starts crying, so she tries to hold it in.

'You know what? Let's go back Mason. You're being completely unreasonable now. You can't ask me to fall in love with you after two days! Act realistic for one second please.'

He rolls with his eyes and gets in his car.

'Come on then. I'll bring you home.'

'No! I don't want to go home. You brought me here and I thought we were going to have a nice evening together. I like spending time with you and I'm sorry if my intentions weren't clear, although I made sure that you knew we were just friends.'

'Whatever Hazel. You made sure that I knew we were strangers. If you meant what you said, it would be best to go home.'

'We are Mason! Be realistic, we have only known each other for a few days. You haven't met my mom, you haven't seen my house, you don't know my favourite song. Mason, you don't know me, at all. I'm just speaking facts.'

'But that's the whole point of spending time together. You get to know each other.'

'That's true, that's why I'm sorry that I maybe hurt your feelings.'

'You haven't hurt my feelings. I don't even know you.'

'Stop it! You are being so annoying. I am trying to have a normal conversation but you clearly aren't.'

'I'm just tired, lets go home Hazel.'

Hazel sighs while holding in her tears. Her heart is racing, she needs to calm herself down now.

'Fine. If that's what you want.'

'I wanted to go the beach with you', he mumbles.

She ignores his words and gets in the car, where he has been sitting for ten minutes with the door open. His words were upsetting because she truly felt she made her intentions clear. He's not being realistic and not acting his age. Maybe she was right about him from the beginning. The only thing he does is playing with her feelings. One moment she feels loved by him and the next moment he makes her angry. It was a mistake to go with him. Rebecca can have him, she wants a loving man, not Mason.

After thirty minutes they arrive at her house, where she guided him to. He looks at her and takes her hand. She flinches slightly, but allows it. She stares in his eyes.

'I did enjoy the evening newbie. It's just a pity it had to end like that.'

'Thanks for the ride home.'