Part Twenty-Seven

''Look at you! What a cute outfit.''

Hazel spins around in front of his eyes. Today is the day, they're going on their trip. California is their destination and Hazel couldn't be more excited. She has never been away from home with friends, only with her parents. It is unbelievable she finally found a good friend to do fun things with.

''Let me help you'', he takes her bags and puts them in his trunk, ''we got lucky with the weather.''

''You sure did'', says Hazel's mother.

''Come here guys! I made sandwiches, you can eat them on the way.''

Sara holds two lunch boxes, they both take one and put it in the car. Hazel's mother opens her arms and gestures that they have to cuddle her.

''Groups hug sweethearts!''

The two of them run towards her to cuddle Sara. Mason holds both very tightly. The way he cuddles reminds her of her father. He used to give strong, loving cuddles. His strong arms are wrapped around Hazel and her mother.

''I love you so much, guys! Take good care of each other and don't forget to send me some cute pictures!'', her mother laughs through her upcoming tears.

''Of course mom! I'm going to miss you.''

''I will protect your daughter with all my heart, I promise you that.''

''You are'', she kisses him on his forehead, ''the sweetest, young man.''

After a couple of minutes, they say one last goodbye. Sara waves at them as they get in the car. Mason rolls down the car window.

''We see you in a week!''

''Have fun guys!''

''Thank you, mom I love you!''

Her mother blows them a kiss as they start riding. Hazel keeps waving until she can't see her mother anymore. He puts his hand in her hand and squeezes it.

''Are you excited?''

''Absolutely! I can't wait to go swimming.''

He nods with a smile on his face. The radio gets louder and he starts singing along. His singing voice isn't the best but Hazel can't stop laughing. He is so silly.

''I bet you have never met someone who could sing that well.''

''Absolutely not! You are the best singer I have ever met'', she laughs. Hazel then grabs his face and looks at him. She lets go with a smirk, so he can keep his eyes on the road again.

''If you are going to grab my face like that, I would at least deserve an explanation.''

''I just wanted to look into your eyes.''

She sees the corners of his mouth curl upwards. His smirk makes her happy and it encourages her to get even more flirtatious with him.

''And was it nice to stare into my eyes?''

''I have seen better eyes in my life. Yours were okay.''

''Harsh. I might have to leave you behind now at some creepy tank station.''

''You wouldn't dare!''

''Watch me.''

Mason pulls over at a tank station and rolls down his window. There's a man with his family, sitting on one of the benches there. They are having their lunch.

''Hey! Can I leave this girl with you? She is very annoying, I don't know if you can handle her'', he shouts.

''Shut up! Leave them alone'', Hazel is shocked that he just said that to random strangers.

The family looks very confused but they also laugh. They seem like nice people, they probably just don't know what they can reply. The woman waves at them.

''You are welcome to have lunch with us but we already have enough children'', she laughs while pointing at her three kids.

''Thank you so much for the offer, but we have to keep going! Take care, bye.''

He starts the engine and they drive off again. Hazel slaps him in the face.

''Don't do that ever again! It was so embarrassing.''

''You are so pretty when you're angry.''

''And you're so annoying when you're, well actually you're always annoying.''

She sighs, this is going to be a very long ride with this idiot. He's such a tease, it is unbelievable. Hazel just realized that she has to spend a whole week with him, it is going to be fun but also chaotic. At least she'll get to know him very well. Of course, he's also a lot of fun to hang around with.

''Are you hungry?'', he asks after they drove half an hour.

''Yes, I am. Shall we lunch somewhere?''

''I would like that, we can eat your mother's lunch.''

She nods while she takes the two lunch boxes out of her bag. Hazel intentionally put her bag at her feet, so they would be able to store little things in there. Mason thought it was a very clever idea.

When they reach a beautiful spot in the woods with a little lake, they get out of the car. Mason holds her hand while she gets out, so she doesn't trip over any loose rocks. Her soft fingers hook into his.

''This place is beautiful!''

''It is so lovely and look there's water!''

''Shall we go swimming? We can lunch after that'', he asks while still holding her hand.

''But my bikini is in one of the bags, I won't be able to get it.''

''You can also go in your underwear. I won't judge you, to me it's all the same.''

''But you can't-''

''I won't look, I promise.''

He takes off his shirt and jumps into the water. His muscular body looks very good, he has also got a little tan. When he's in the water, he looks at Hazel.

''I will now turn around, so you can get undressed.''

When he turns around she starts to take off her clothing. She then follows his example and jumps into the water quickly. As soon as he hears the sound of splashing water, he turns around. He looks so good with wet hair, she thinks. Mason holds her face gently and strokes her cheeks. While doing that, he stares into her eyes. Hazel can feel her cheeks turning red already. He moves one hand to her waist and pulls her closer in the water so her body touches his.

''Imagine being this beautiful'', he mumbles.

Her hand moves to his back. Mason leans in while he still holds her gently. Their foreheads touch as they look into the eyes of the other. Their hearts beat between them as their breathing gets heavier. He slowly runs his fingers through her wet hair. Mason takes one last look at her before his lips touch hers. When he pulls his head back, he slowly runs his thumb over her lips. Hazel smiles at him.

''You are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen.''