su! | how you met!

y/n's dad was a rabbi and was friend's with stanley's dad, who was also a rabbi. he invited them to stan's bar mitzvah. they didn't get a chance to talk before but they did after. y/n was very impressed with his speech and even joined another boy, richie, in a round of applause before her mother scolded her. after y/n told stanley how she thought his speech was great and he was happy!

"Y/n this dress is the one you're wearing. It's not up for debate." "Mom! Please! I really want to wear the tan one." "No! I don't know why y/bf/n gave you that dress but it is way too inappropriate. You're wearing the blue one. Plus you do not want to draw attention to yourself, it's Stan's day." "I know mom. Know one will care what I wear!" "You just want to make Stan like you. It's not about looks. He'll like you for who you are." "Mom! I don't even know if Stan's nice or even cute." "Whatever. Put on the blue dress and your shoes. Then I will flat iron your hair and put on some lip gloss and then we will meet your dad." "Okay." I put on my dress and my shoes and decided I didn't look too bad. I walked downstairs and went into my mom bathroom and she fixed my hair and put some lip gloss on me. I looked in the mirror and smiled. I felt confident for once. "Thank you mom." She hugged me. "You look beautiful. Now it's time to go." We arrived and walked in and there were a lot of people. I saw Stan by my dad and his dad. He was super cute. I walked over with my mom behind me. I stood next to my dad. "Hi sweetie. This is my daughter y/n." I waved and smiled. "Nice to finally meet you." We were interrupted by the time and my parents and I went to go find our seats. I was sat next to a boy and his mother. We sat through the whole thing, me thinking about how cute Stanley is the entire time.

It was finally time for Stanley's speech. He started talking and I yawned and my mom nudged my shoulder. I rolled my eyes and listened. "...which makes sense because today I'm supposed to become a man. It's funny though. Everyone, I think, has some memories they're prouder of than others, right? And maybe that's why change is so scary because the things we wish we could leave behind, the whispers we wish we could silence, the nightmares we most want to wake up from, the memories we wish we could change, secrets we feel like we have to keep are the hardest to walk away from. The good stuff, the pictures in our mind that fade away the fastest, those pieces of you it feels the easiest to loose. Maybe we don't want to forget. Maybe i-i-if that's what today's about, forget it. Right?" Stanley paused a looked at his dad. "Thank you Stanley." His dad reached for the microphone but Stanley moved and walked down the steps while saying, "Today I'm supposed to become a man but I don't- I don't feel any different." Stanley turned and looked at his dad. "I-I know I'm a loser," he paused, "and no matter what," another pause. Spit it out Stan! "I always fucking will be." Everyone gasped. Me and the boy sitting next to me both stood up and started clapping. Both of our mother's pulled us down. "Y/n! Do not." Stan dropped the microphone and walked out two doors in the back. I stood up to go follow him and my mom grabbed my wrist and pulled me down. I huffed. "You stay here. Stop making a scene."

My parents and I got up and they started to talk to other adults they knew. I stood there, bored out of my mind. After long enough, we all left and went to the Uris's house for an after party for family. I wasn't related to him but we were invited since my dad and his dad were so close. We walked inside the house and Stanley was wearing a nice suit. "Stan looks pretty cute, huh?" my mom said in my ear. I blushed, lightly. "Sure, mom." "I'm gonna go talk to his mom. You should go talk to him," my mom said. She winked and walked away. I shook my head. Stan looked at me and I made direct eye contact with him. We both walked towards each other. "Hi." "Hi." We both awkwardly smiled. We both spoke at the same time, "I'm Stanley." "I'm Y/n." We laughed. "You go first." It seemed like a sign that we said the same thing at the same exact time. We both laughed again. "I'm Y/n." "I'm Stanley." "Nice to meet you Stan." "It's nice to meet you too." "Oh, um. I really liked your speech." "Oh, thank you." "The other boy and I both stood up for you. I think he liked it too." "Oh, yeah. Richie. He's one of my best friends." "Seems like a good best friend to me." "One of the best." We smiled. "I like your dress." "Oh, thank you. Your suit is nice. It matches my dress." He laughed. "It sure does." We stood there for a moment in silence. "Y/n?" "Yes." "Can I tell you something?" "Yeah. Of course Stan." "You're cute and pretty." I smiled. "Thank you. You're pretty cute too." He smiled. "Okay, everyone come to the living room to celebrate!" "Let's go celebrate your big day," I said while grabbing Stan's hand. We both smiled at each other walked to the living room together.