━━ CHAPTER TWELVE

"TEARS, WITH A LITTLESARCASM

SARCASM."

━━ juliette scott
june thirtieth. ━━

he stared at me for a good thirty seconds, wondering what the hell i was on about until i shoved the letter i had just read into his chest.

he groaned at the sudden pain, but grabbed the letter and his eyes roamed the page for a minute.

he immediately engulfed me into a hug, which confused me a lot.

i shoved away, angry. "did you fucking know?"

"sit down." he demanded, motioning to the chair across from his desk.

reluctantly, i sat down on the chair and he shifted in his seat, facing his body toward me and putting his hands together. i pulled my knees to my chest.

"i didn't know, honestly." he started, "of course; with the information you had given me, it did cross my mind. but i wasn't sure, and never said anything." he gulped. "but now i'm sure."

i started thinking about him a lot more. how did i forget him? he was my best friend for a while, and it just slipped my entire mind.

he got up and smoothed out his shirt. "i understand how uncomfortably this can be." he tells me, coming to me and sitting in the chair next to me. "and i'm sorry i didn't ask you before."

"where the hell have you been?" i narrowed my eyes.

"i was trying to find you, honestly i was. but i assume your dad cut off all contact and never wanted me to contact you. nonetheless, you're still my little sister and nothing is gonna change that."

i bit my lip, hard.

i had never shown him my vulnerability until now. i mean, he played such a huge part in my life and he's just back.

without a thought or a word, i hugged him instantly.

he cupped my face before backing away, taking a deep breathe in. "i've got to show you something."

he went back to his desk and started rummaging through the desk drawers.

"what are you looking for?" i ask, trying to comprehend what today was and how sudden this was.

"i wrote you birthday letters. between when you were thirteen, fourteen and fifteen. if you'll read."

he passed them to me; and i started opening each one. we both happily read them, and started becoming our old selves again.

━━ michael clifford
july fourteenth. ━━

"hey," luke knocked on the door and pushed it open. "juliette's guardians are here. they want to see her."

i took a deep breathe in, wondering how i was going to let juliette know. "thanks."

i got up and started toward juliette's room where i knew she would be.

juliette had been improving so much, and i like to think that it might be because of the comfort we've given each other. if that makes sense.

after the long day of emotions, i had told the boys about juliette and my past with her. they were extremely suspicious when i told them i didn't know fully.

which um, rude?

i knock on her door, hearing a soft "come in." i push the door open and see her on the bed. her legs in a criss cross postion, and her head against the wall.

"hey, what are you reading?" i ask, smiling as her eyes reached mine after hearing my voice.

"harry potter." she proudly says.

last week, we took out the feeding tube since she was eating semi-normally now, and she was so much happier with it out.

"what's up? what do you need?"

"well. you've got a couple visitors, your parents are here to see you." i slowly tell her.

she responses with her eyebrows shooting up in surprise, getting up from her bed.

"can we excuse the no cussing rule for this visit?"

i chuckle and motion for her to follow me. she hesitates, but starts to follow me. we enter the visitors area and see two adults.

"juliette!" her dad greeted her with a small smile, which i could tell was a teensy bit fake. "i've missed you so much!"

"yeah, same here." she shrugs, but tries to show enthusiasm. "what are you all doing here?"

"to visit you, silly!" her stepmom giggles, her eyes moving to me and giving me a death glare.

what the fuck did i do?

"oh! where's xavier?" she asks.

"he didn't want to come this time." her stepmom says sternly, having a change in attitude. i notice her eyeing juliette up and down. "you've gained weight."

"yes i have." she says proudly. "this is the entire reason i'm here in the first place, so you can keep your eyes up on mine." she spits venom.

normally, i'm supposed to tell her not to be mean to her parents; but since she's my little sister, i refuse to follow the rules!

"whatever." her stepmom scoffs. "i'm dropping the act. tell her what's happening, william."

i cross my arms at that sentence, waiting for what's happening to be said to juliette.

"can we have some fucking privacy?" her stepmom spits, narrowing her eyes in my direction.

"since i am juliette's doctor, i have to be here. sorry. anything you say to her, you can say to me dear." i smile to her, a totally fake smile.

her dad looked immediately guilty, putting his hands on his hips and tapping his foot on the ground. i pulled juliette closer by a little bit.

"me, your stepmom and xavier are moving. i've given your grandmother guardian rights to you, so after your session here— you're flying there."