━━ CHAPTER TWENTY SIX.

"GRANDMA

"GRANDMA."

━━ juliette scott
september eighth. ━━

"i am so tired." i murmur, rubbing my eyes until i see stars.

"that's what you get for not sleeping." calum jokes softly, to which i give him a nasty glare at his remark. the seats in that plane were horrible, how was i supposed to sleep?

as i'm arguing with calum about his remark and how dumb it was, michael taps my shoulder which makes me confusingly look at him. "what?"

"hey angel," he kneels down next to me and points in front of us. "does she look familiar?"

i knitted my eyebrows together, getting more confused. i look in the direction he's pointing in and see one of my favourite people ever.

my absolute favourite cousin, annie, standing with a bag in her hand.

my eyes grow as wide as california, and i immediantly drop my stuff and run up to her as fast as i could. the second i hit her arms, i hug her. she engulfs me into a hug and picks me up, spinning me around.

this is what happiness felt like.

the first thing annie says is, "fuck. you smell good. my god." she says, her face in my hair.

"thank you," i mused, "i use vanilla shampoo, conditioner, and body wash."

she laughs and sets me down, bringing me into one more hug before letting me go again; kneeling to my height.

"you look so adult," she says, cupping my face as if to make sure i'm real. "you're so much taller. but still not as tall as me!" she humors. she then poked my cheek and gives me another tight squeeze.

seconds later, the guys catch up to us with bags in their hands. michael hands me the bag i had dropped with a small smile on his face. he extends his hand, "hello, you must be annie. i'm michael. we've spoke over the phone?"

annie happily takes his hand and shakes it with a firm nod, "that's me."

"it's very nice to meet you." michael says, letting go of annie's hand. "well, i assume you're gonna go hang out with annie for a little. if that's okay, of course."

"more than okay." i smile brightly. didn't know i could smile more.

then, annie takes a piece of paper out of her pocket and hands it to michael. "this is our address, i'm sure you can find it after you're done at the hotel?"

"for sure." michael confirmed. "check in's at three, and its two thirty so we best be going." he announces, looking down at me. "i'll see you soon?"

"you will."

━━

"so have you met anyone?" annie asks, "any friends? maybe any love interests i need to hear about?" she wiggles her eyebrows jokingly.

i feel heat rush to my cheeks and i shake my head, "no. i haven't."

"aw man." annie frowns, but stops once her face hits realization, "wait; oh my gosh, are you—" she pauses to flick her wrist down, asking me if i was gay.

i blush and look away immediately.

annie is in a full committed relationship with her girlfriend, annie being lesbian. they live in a wonderful apartment downtown. i used to get sent photos and videos of it all the time, and they are very decorative.

"speaking of which, how is jess?" i ask. jess, or jessica, is annie's long term (three year) girlfriend.

"oh, she's good." she smiles. "not sure how long we'll be girlfriend and girlfriend for."

again, my eyes grow as wide as california. "what? what happened? why not?"

annie bursts out laughing and i stare at her like she's crazy. "no no, not like that." she says. "i want to ask her to be my wife."