Meeting The Parents-Chapter XVIII

It had been a year since the music awards and Tommy and I were living together.

Pretty much straight after the Awards everything went back to how it was.

Heather on the other hand, saw in the Newspaper we were back together and cracked it at Tommy for breaking up with her for me.

After a year of being together without any breaks, meant that it was time to meet Tommy's parents and we were going over there for dinner.

Tommy drove with the windows rolled down all the way, it was a cloudless blue sky today in California, which I tried to take as a good omen.

But as we drove there I was getting more nervous. I was way more anxious meeting his parents then I let on, but I couldn't let him know that.

He was so excited for me to meet his parents and I was just as scared.

The radio blared 80's rock and Tommy played the drums rhythm on the steering wheel, slapping it with his hand.

I pretended my seatbelt was a guitar, pulling the strap out pretending I was plucking strings.

Both of us sung loudly, not caring that our windows were rolled down and everyone could hear us.

We didn't give a fuck.

The loud music was a distraction to how nervous I was, but only for a little while.

Before I knew it we were pulled up out the front of a suburban home, Tommy parked his car on the nature strip.

My leg bounced up and down as I looked at the house, knowing what was waiting me inside.

Thoughts running through my mind wildly.

What if they don't like how I dress?

What if they don't like how I act?

What if they just don't like me at all?

Tommy noticed my leg and placed his hand on it, squeezing it gently. 'You've got nothing to be nervous about.' He reassured me with a smile. 'Trust me.'

I sucked in some air and nodded, at the same time we both stepped out of the car.

I could've really used a smoke right now, but I promised myself no smoking in front of Tommy's family.

Tommy lead me up the steps of his childhood home.

'Mum? Dad?' He called out as he walked through the door, with me closely behind him.

A man and woman came around the corner and hugged Tommy with wide smiles on their faces.

I smiled at this, Tommy looked happy to be home and as I looked at him they looked at me.

Tommy grinned down at me before introducing me to them. 'This is Rani.' He placed a hand on the small of my back and I took a step closer to them as Tommy's mum extended her hand, in a formal manor for me to shake it.

His dad did the same but looked more happier in meeting me.

'Nice to meet you.' His dad gave me a warm, welcoming smile.

I caught Tommy giving his mum a confused look but she ignored him.

'Lunch is ready.' She sternly spoke, clapping her hands together and walking into the kitchen.

Everyone followed her and Tommy gave his dad the same confused look, to which he responded with an innocent shrug.

'Is there anything I can help with Mrs Lee?' I walked into the kitchen as she put food onto the table.